Farewell, 2016!

2016. You were all over the place. On a global political and human suffering level, you were horrific. On a personal level, it was a bumpy ride with some really fantastic highs. Got to travel around Europe with beloved friends, and took some essential steps towards a new career.

Best Book 

Going with something a little different this year...


This book needs to be required reading for every single person who uses social media. Of all the books I've read this year, fiction and non-fiction, YA and adult, this is the book that has really stuck with me.

Best Videogame

Yup, totally cheating here. So, first up, best videogame of 2016, from 2016!


Uncharted 4 was everything I wanted it to be and more. No, I don't like it more than the third game, but I still love it. Naughty Dog finally took the time to slow the action down enough to give us a really emotionally engaging story. It was well worth buying a PS4 for, and my goodness have I had way too much fun tweeting screenshots from this and other games in 2016 :P

And secondly, best older game I played in 2016:


Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is one of those games with a story that captured me and continues to haunt me. It's so beautiful, and the music is just stunning. I write with it all the time, and listen to it when insomnia strikes. 

And an honorary mention to my beloved Lara, because I'm sure if I'd played this game to completion, it would've beaten Uncharted... but I'm only about 25% of the way through so...

Best Film


Goals

You know, I actually did a great job on this year's goals. Nope, still don't have an agent, but I'm trying something new for 2017.

This year I wanted to:
  • Qualify as a NVQ assessor  - done! And I am now working as an assessor for a local further education college :D
  • Write a new book - done! I wrote a fifth Ghost!Story back in the spring.
  • Join an amateur orchestra - done! ^_^ I've even performed in my very first concert, and I wasn't terrible!
  • Keep on blogging! - I admit it's been a lot quieter around here this year, but I'm still blogging.
  • Go to at least two videogame music concerts - done! I went to the US to see Symphony of the Goddesses, and I went to London to hear Symphonic Fantasies and the Tomb Raider concert. All were fantastic.
  • Sign with an agent - Nope! And despite what I said about not taking it off my list until I did, I kinda am taking it off the list for next year for reasons that will soon become clear...
Goals for 2017

  • Put my all into my Golden Egg Foundation Year course! I still can't believe I was offered a place on this. Being told your writing has potential is pretty thrilling. This is the best chance I have to turn Conspiracy of Echoes into a publishable book, and I am going to seize every opportunity I get to make it something really special.
  • Continue sticker charting. It's my version of a bullet journal, and I love it. It's super motivating, and it's fun to look back on ^_^ I am a to do list kinda gal, but my non-working life lists tend to be monthly rather than daily or weekly. I'm not interested in planning my life down to the tiniest detail, but noting my achievements looks pretty when I use so many fantastic stickers ;)
  • Become a better violinist. I know what I need to work on, so here's to inching towards fluency in music in 2017.
2017 is going to be a lot of things. It's up to us to endure, survive, and make it that little bit brighter in any way we can.

See you soon!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts