What's Your Iconic Videogame Music?

After Symphonic Fantasies, I found myself thinking about what's the most iconic videogame music for me. What's the music that best represents a game or a franchise I love? Music that I can go back to time and time again and find inspiration as well as good memories.

So, here's a very small selection of gaming music I love. I have put them in order of when I played them for the first time.

Sonic the Hedgehog Three


Okay, that one is super nostalgic. Nothing else, just mega nostalgic. It's like I'm back at junior school.

Resident Evil


I've chosen the 1996 original. When I heard this for the first time, it stuck in my head and never let go. I go back to this score all the time when I'm working on my Ghost!Story series. I chose the Save Room Theme because even though hearing it you knew you were safe, there's still an undercurrent of threat to the piece because the second you step back through that door, the zombies will come for you...

Tomb Raider


I've gone with a piece from 1997's Tomb Raider II because I love it, and I can't wait to hear it live. Nathan McCree posted a preview of how Vertigo will sound with an orchestra and I am soooo excited!!! The Tomb Raider scores were the first I 'owned' because they came on the game discs. I have no idea how I discovered this, but I remember recording my favourites onto tape so I could listen to them on my Walkman. It was the 90s, okay? :P

Final Fantasy VII


It had to be the first Final Fantasy game I ever played because it's how I discovered Nobuo Uematsu's amazing work. Not only can you get amazing orchestral versions of his music thanks to the Distant Worlds and Final Symphony recordings, but also the Materia Collective have put together two fantastic cover albums of music from Final Fantasy VII and VIII. I highly recommend both.

Silent Hill 



I can't tell you how many stories I have written over the years with music from Silent Hill playing in the background. I chose a piece from 1999's original game, because I love those deep, tolling notes. It's quiet, almost soothing, but there's a real menace to it. It's a favourite for sure.

Kingdom Hearts


I am so excited for 2017's Kingdom Hearts concert in London. It is going to be soooo good. I've gone with Another Side, Another Story, because I will never forget the first time I saw the trailer it was attached to. I had just finished the original game, waaaaay back in 2003, and I saw this on a fan website. Remember, 2003 was pre-Youtube. I was totally blown away, and couldn't wait to get my hands on Kingdom Hearts II... which I waited three years for.  All of you Sherlock fans complain about waiting. You've got nothing on Kingdom Hearts fans. *Nothing*.

Also, true story, back when I was at university in 2005, I went into an empty lecture hall, hooked my laptop up to the cinema sized screen, and watched this trailer. It was amazing.
Uncharted 


I had to go with music from Uncharted 3, because I love it so damn much and I go back to this score all the time. Yes, it's as cinematic as they say. I just want to sit down and write action and adventure stories every time I listen. And then I want to replay the game :P

The Last of Us


The score is so stark, and every time I hear it, I feel every single emotion of the game all over again. Honestly, if you have a PS3 or 4 and haven't played this game, you need to. You can shout at me later for the feels you will endure, but it is amazing. I've done a lot of editing with this soundtrack lately.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture


This game (or walking simulator if you prefer) is so haunting, and a huge part of that is the music. It's like nothing I've ever heard in a game before and it is beautiful. I love to listen to it and write little scenes or moments. Nothing in particular, just moments or emotions inspired by the music I want to explore for myself.

So, there's a handful of my iconic music. What's yours?

Comments

  1. Ooooh, this is such a tough one. For me it's...

    Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. Totally cheesy, but the upbeat rock songs and lyrics all about the characters were really great fun. City Escape is silly and fun and always a favourite (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NaZrPQGfY), Open Your Heart gets me pumped up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH_MCPcjxP0), and Live and Learn makes my heart soar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag). I loved the Sonic Generations game where they remixed a lot of the classics.

    Pokemon was another one. Lavender Town still gives me chills when I hear it, it's easily the most unsettling song I've heard in ANY video game ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJJ-QkZ8cM

    I'm still obsessed with Undertale's soundtrack after hearing it earlier this year. It's one of those games that's buried itself right under my skin. The way motifs reoccur throughout, character themes melding with others... it's amazing, and it's one of the most complex scores I've ever heard in a deceptively simple-sounding soundtrack.
    The tracks aren't the same without the game memories to boost them up, but the track UNDERTALE boosts me up and makes me feel like I can do anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBhFHJMVfiI
    HOPES AND DREAMS is a more energetic redux of Undertale for when I REALLY need to save the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz82xbLvK_k
    And Megalovania is when I need to put my game face on and really tear through a task: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5daGZ96QGU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I must get around to Undertale.

      oooh, Sonic Adventure! I *loved* those games and have some of the soundtracks on my iPod.

      Delete
  2. Tough question indeed! I'm gonna go for:

    1. FFVII- Flowers Blooming In The Church
    2. Sonic The Hedgehog - Star Light Zone
    3. Shining Force 2- Welcome To Our Town
    4. Chrono Trigger- Wind Scene
    5. Bubble Bobble- Main Theme
    6. Xenogears- Flight
    7. Persona 3- Memories of You
    8. Vagrant Story- Undercity
    9. Streets of Rage 2- Main Theme
    10. Metal Gear Solid 3- Debriefing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, fantastic shout on including Persona 3! The two FES opening themes still get such an instant, loving reaction from me.

      (Woops, copy-pasted the post URL instead of my comment and had to delete my last comment.)

      Delete
    3. Star Light Zone! I actually remembered how that sounded before I double-checked on Youtube. Wow.

      I need to replay Chrono Trigger. It's been too long.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts