Rejection - The Lowest Low (Sprinkled With Hope)

Rejection sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks. But if you don't find a way to keep going even when nothing is going your way, it's really going to drag you down.

And sometimes rejection is gonna drag you down no matter what. Your coping strategies don't work, the rejection stings that little bit more, the silences hold a promise that's never realised, and all you see is a bleak future for that particular project.

All it takes is one yes, so why can't you get it?


It happens. It's okay. Sometimes, you are going to be miserable and nothing's going to make it better. And let's get one thing absolutely perfectly straight:

You are allowed to be upset.

Cry if you have to. Scream. Have a rant about how unfair it is that such and such has a career and their book is THE WORST in your opinion but you can't get past the goddamn querying stage IS THERE NO JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Oh, but don't do that last bit in a public forum. Don't. Private messages or real life only. Don't be that writer. No one likes that writer.

It is awful to be constantly rejected. But as hard as it is, and as miserable as I've been, I know I'm going to pick myself back up and keep sending my book out. No one else is going to do it for me, and the torrents of rejections are not going to stop me from sending my book out to agents. Because even at my lowest, there's still the hope that it's all going to work out. And hope is a powerful thing.

I'm going to ride out this low point, because I always do. I want to be published too much to quit. To quote Lara Croft, I can do this.

Comments

Popular Posts