Recycle and Upcycle

Do you know why you need to keep everything you write? The best stuff, the crap stuff, the stuff that fizzled out, the stuff you wrote when you were twelve?

Because you absolutely never know when you're going to recycle or upcycle an idea.

By recycle, I mean taking an idea and using it for something else. Maybe a deleted scene or a character you can now insert into a newer plot.

By upcycle I mean taking something old and turning that junk into something usable.

Right now, I'm kind of doing both. I'm recycling a just-for-me project from a couple of years ago, and upcycling a concept I first used in the late 90s, and no, I am not sharing any of my pre-teen writing with you guys. Nope. Not happening. You. Can't. Make. Me.

Here's hoping this time my old scraps for a more cohesive tale...

Comments

  1. Good luck with your project! I'm considering rewriting the first ms I ever wrote (sort of thrillery romance, adult) into a YA time travel.Guess that would be upcycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Give it a go, you never know where it could take you :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to see how this goes. A teen-me idea has been nagging at me lately, very tempted to add it to the WIP queue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts