Monthly Soundtrack Reviews - Star Trek Beyond

Soundtrack: Star Trek Beyond
Album Art Source
Year: 2016
Composer: Michael Giacchino
Stand Out Track: Night on the Yorktown
Works Well With: Big adventures, exploration, science-fiction

For those of you new to my blog, I am a huge Trekkie. And I am an especially massive fan of Michael Giacchino's scores from the three latest films. I will keep this spoiler free, promise! But if you haven't seen this film yet, go! Despite the sadness of losing both Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin, you will leave with a massive smile on your face. The film is just so much fun. Oh, and if you're prone to motion sickness like me but want to see the IMAX version, I discovered travel sickness medicine solved all my woes on my third viewing.

For a fiftieth anniversary film, this was exactly what the franchise needed - something fun, new, but at the same time reminiscent of all that's gone before. The music absolutely captured this. Listening to the music on its own is extremely moving. There are moments when I'm smiling, moments when I'm on the edge of the seat, and moments when I need to grab a tissue. And Hitting the Saucer a Little Hard captures all of that in a single track. It's a thrilling piece of music. It even has a callback to the TV show's music, just like The San Fran Hustle from Into Darkness

Just like the film itself, the music has a massive sense of fun and wonder. The whole way through the film, I kept thinking how much it felt like those classic ensemble episodes, when everyone works together to get stuff done. It was amazing. Night on the Yorktown captures just how amazing a sight that spacestation is the first time you see it in the film... I loved the concept of that place, and the music matched my own sense of WOW! It's such a stirring piece. It swells with hope, something that I always took away from the older Star Trek stories. And it's not just that one piece. A Lesson In Vulcan Mineralogy sounds cheeky early on. It plays during one of the funniest scenes in the whole film. I love it, but I'm not spoiling it.

There's also some great character music in here. Thank Your Lucky Star Date suggests a sense of duty, one tinged with 'is this really what I want?' Cater-Krall In Zero G, while I can't go into spoilers, has a thread of melancholy, right before it becomes the soundtrack to a big fight. That melancholy filters back in at the end. I really like it.

The score has some real menace, too. The Dance of the Nebula feels like the uncharted territory they're exploring is about to turn around and bite them in the arse. It's a tad creepy.

The score has some brilliant action pieces to inspire a good fight. Motorcycles of Relief and Mocking Jaylah will get your pulse thumping. Good if you've got a few space battles to write.

All I know is, I can't wait to hear this performed live <3 I shall impatiently await news of such an event. After all, hearing Star Trek and Into Darkness live in 2014 are concert highlights of my entire life.

Oh, man, I love this film. It makes me so happy. So, so happy.

Comments

Popular Posts