Dark Souls is Kinda Like Querying

Or - if you ever want to explain to a non-writer what querying is like, give them a copy of Dark Souls.

I was driving home from work the other day, planning how I was going to approach my recent return to the game, when its mechanical similarity to the act of querying hit me.

For those of you who don't know, Dark Souls is a game in which you die constantly. Over and over and over and OHMIGAWD I JUST LOST THOUSANDS OF SOULS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!


*deep breath*

Why do I keep dying in Dark Souls? Mostly because my gameplay style of whacking it until it dies really doesn't work. This is a game that requires all kinds of strategy and planning and...

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH JUST DIIIIIIIIIIIIE!

(I am the reason I die in Dark Souls so much. Me and my total lack of patience. And the fact that my PS3 controller is kinda broken and my character just walked off a bloody cliff of her own volition ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff)

But the part of this game that is like querying is the fact that every damn time you die, you come back to life and do it all again.

And again.

Aaaaand again.

I started playing this game last December. I've put it aside more than once, but I keep coming back to it because, goddammit, I am going to beat it.

Just like how I keep getting back up after every rejection and send out the next batch because I believe in my books and I know there's an agent out there who'll believe in me, too. So I take the rejections, because every now and then I get a partial or a full request, or an agent takes the time to give me some feedback. Just like how defeating each boss in Dark Souls is a mini triumph before the next cycle of constant dying begins, each moment of promise while querying is absolutely worth celebrating and being proud of.

So, yes, the next time someone says "what does querying feel like?" give them this game. 

Comments

Popular Posts