Unfinished Business


In a way, this post follows on from last week's. I started 2016 by exploring a new idea. No stress, no this must be my next major project!, just kicking an idea around to see if it had potential. And it might... but my brain refuses to focus on it. Why?

Unfinished business with my Ghost!Story series.

I feel like I'm not finished with it because I have yet to edit the second, third and fourth books. This is something I really feel like I need to do. Even though the first book is still querying, I want to edit books two through four. I appreciate it may be a pointless exercise, but for my own peace of mind, I need to get this done... or started at the very least. If a shiny new idea comes along that does work, it'll take priority. But I feel like until the Ghost!Stories are closer to their final versions, I'm not ready to move on from that world.

If you're struggling to move onto a new idea, it could be because you, like me, aren't quite done with the old one. Maybe you need to do some more editing. Perhaps you want to try a few extra scenes to get them out of your head or turn them into a sequel. Whatever it is, if you feel like you need to release the idea before you can move on, do it, especially if it's stopping you from focusing on new ideas.

I've discovered I tend to have an idea that can become an entire novel every two years. By that logic, 2016 isn't going to be a year I find my next new project, but rather a year to focus on editing and self-improvement. I can't say for certain that I won't develop an entirely new novel this year, but I'm certainly not going to pressure myself unnecessarily. Besides, there are a lot of agents I haven't shared Conspiracy of Echoes with yet. It'd be exciting to tell them I have three more books to hand over to them.

Here's to 2016 being a good year for my writing career, one way or another.

Comments

  1. 2016 is going to be an *awesome* year! I believe in Ghost Story! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's to both of us having a superb 2016 :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts