A Post For The Times When It Feels Like You Can't Win...

Come, sit. Make yourselves comfortable, lovely readers. It's no fun when things don't run smoothly, but I promise you're not alone.

Sometimes, no matter what you do or how you do it, you can't win. Your new idea isn't so shiny, editing is a drain, you've pulled on a plot thread and created a plot hole, or you just don't have the desire to write.

Oh, and rejections. So many rejections. You are the Scrooge McDuck of rejections.


It can feel terribly lonely when nothing's going right. One thing to remember is loads of people feel like this. The most important thing to remember is this feeling won't last forever.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm popping on my TOUGH LOVE HAT because you will have to endure the bad times because you actually haven't forgotten how to write. You can do it, but maybe not right now. There's not always an easy way, and you can't rely on others to help you through, but after a bad spell things will get better. Don't be afraid to do whatever it takes to discover your love of writing. You know can do it. I know you might be at your creative worst right now, but there will be a new idea. It might not happen quickly, but it will happen.

We writers never give up.

How you find your next big idea is very dependent on how you personally find inspiration. Experience has taught me my best ideas hit me when I stop worrying. If I force myself, or reach for an idea, it falls apart. When the idea hits me instead, a first draft will gush out in one exciting explosion.

That's really not where I am right now. I feel empty. I could bust out my violin and play a sad song, or I could look at it in a more positive way - I am ready and waiting to be filled with inspiration.

...Whenever inspiration's ready to strike ;)

It's absolutely fine, normal and okay for your writing life to not always run smoothly. Your actual life has hiccups, doesn't it? Why should your creativity be any different?  And please, please, please remember do not let the actions of other writers determine how you feel about your own work. It's so easy to contrast the success of others to your own failures or shortcomings. Focus on yourself and don't beat yourself up because of what your writing friends are doing. And trust me - everyone has their negative times. Social media trains us to present our lives as though nothing ever goes wrong. And, okay, I'll be honest, I don't want to read someone's constant whinging and whining on social media either. But if you're basing your "everyone's doing so much better than me" solely on other writers' social media output, chances are they have their bad days, too. Nothing is perfect all of the time for any of us. You aren't the only person currently feeling empty and devoid of ideas. So am I! Inspiration will come again, probably when you least expect it. Patience truly is a virtue.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post. It's nice not to feel so alone (I'm empty right now too). I'm trying to use my time well by reading more. I wish you a pool full of inspiration (and me too)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good post. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this! It always helps to know other people feel the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's so easy to feel we're alone, so I think it's important to tell each other we're not.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts