Monthly Soundtrack Reviews - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Soundtrack: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Album Art Source
Year: 2015
Composer: Jessica Curry. Song Lyrics by Dan Pinchbeck.
Stand Out Track: Carry Me Back To Her Arms
Works Well With: Mysteries, tragedies, gothic horror

I should probably state that I haven't actually played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, but the music is simply so beautiful I had to buy the score. All I know about the game comes from the website and the trailer. I didn't want to look deeper because this is on my MUST PLAY list for when I buy my PS4 in the spring. Instead, I'll share my own thoughts and feelings of what this astounding music inspires.

The first thing you'll notice is the haunting, choral feel to this album. Just listen to All the Earth and A Storm Over Yaughton. I love how the voices inspire a sense of community, like their joy and loss belong to all of them. It's also the kind of music that will send shivers through you. It's beautiful, but there's a solemn edge to it. This music aches. There's a sense of loss, similar to The Last of Us. However, where that soundtrack can be quite stark, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is so rich. Every note rings out, whether it's the singers or the instruments. It's such a lush score. I absolutely love it.

When the choir steps back and lets the orchestra do its work, you get beautiful pieces like An Early Harvest. It just conjures up images of the quiet, beautiful English countryside. It reminds me of walks in the summer through open fields. Or, perhaps, a peaceful walk through a strangely abandoned village... That said, there are uplifting moments in the score, punctuating the strange sadness. I like the cautious hopefulness of I Hope You Find Peace.

I love this soundtrack because every note will resonate within you. The music is telling a story of hope, fear, loss, peace and, ultimately, acceptance. I can't wait to see how it fits into the game, but for now, I'm using it to inspire my writing. It'll definitely inspire your creativity, too.

Comments

Popular Posts