Bookish Geekery (Or: Why I Own Multiple Copies of the Same Book)

I love books. Love, love, LOVE. And I'm also a big fan of re-reading favourites year after year after year. In fact, one of my main criteria for keeping books is asking myself "will I read this again someday?" If the answer's no, chances are it'll be donated to charity or given to a good friend.

Sometimes I buy multiple copies because I don't want to lug hardbacks around or because my original copies are so well read they're falling to pieces.


I bought those paperbacks of Lirael and Abhorsen when I was working in India in 2012. I found this amazing bookshop in Mumbai and picked both up for about 200 Rupees each. I was so happy, because I'd read the books I'd taken with me and really fancied reading them both again.

As for my secondary copies of those three Charlie Higson novels, 1) my originals are falling apart, 2) my original copy of Double or Die is signed and falling apart, and honestly 3) I BLOODY LOVE THOSE NEW COVERS! I discovered the covers are about to be redesigned again, so I'm probably going to pick up Hurricane Gold and By Royal Command even though I have perfectly serviceable hardbacks of both :P My bookish heart just can't say no to such fantastic designs!


With The Diviners and Chasing the Dead, I originally bought them on Kindle but loved them so much I had to buy paperbacks. And, as you can probably tell, my original copy of Stormbreaker is pretty ancient and also coming apart, but I bought the Kindle version as I'm not keen on the recent redesigns.

...Yes, I have needs and I'm supremely picky.

Finally, we come to my favourite books of all time...


Yes, those are four copies of Northern Lights. Why? Well, second in on the bottom row is my original paperback version and it is coming apart, which is why I bought the version above, as it is my "carry around and read out of the house" copy. Next to that, first on the top row, is my tenth anniversary hardback, and below it is my twentieth anniversary limited edition copy. Yes, there is a good possibility I will buy every anniversary edition until I die.

As for The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, those hardbacks are both first editions so they're far too precious to carry around now I can have tenth anniversary paperbacks.

So, do you reread and re-buy books? These are most of mine, but I have had more in the past. I sometimes give away second copies, only to buy a third for myself.

I JUST LOVE BOOKS, OKAY!?!

Comments

  1. THAT LIMITED EDITION NORTHERN LIGHTS HARDCOVER. O_O SO PRETTY. I WAAANTTT.

    I don't really collect special novel editions apart from books by writer friends, and books by Terry Pratchett. (And recently, Patrick Ness's shiny THE REST OF US JUST LIVE HERE might lead to a new obsession.) But now I'm really tempted to add Phillip Pullman to that list.

    Are you excited about the BBC His Dark Materials adaption? I'm cautiously excited, after all, they did a *great* job of JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's so pretty!

      I don't know if I'll watch it because I love how *I* imagine the story, and I don't think I want someone else's interpretation.

      Delete
    2. That makes a lot of sense, and thinking about it, I would be really disappointed if the show's Lyra and Will started sticking in my memory instead of my old headcanons. Hmmmm.

      Delete
    3. Exactly. I've really turned away from adaptations of things I absolutely love because I don't want it to overtake my version. And I am very fond of my version of His Dark Materials.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you have four copies of Northern Lights. :P They're very pretty, though. Mine have held together pretty well, but I'd be tempted if I had more shelf space! I do need to replace my copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, because the spine fell off. But I'd probably end up buying new copies of the whole set so they match. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts