A Violin Retrospective

 

Nearly three years ago, I decided to make one of my lifelong dreams come true. I decided to learn how to play the violin. I knew nothing. I didn't even know how to make the violin play notes other than open strings. Now, I can play a lot better than I could back then and I'm developing a vibrato... I just need to fix my intonation and my bow hold and about a million other itty bitty details.

However, I shouldn't focus on the negatives. Since 2012, I've gone from playing this:


To this:


I've worked really hard and I have an amazing teacher. All three of my teachers have been amazing. I definitely appreciate their time, patience and talent.

Playing the violin is a hobby. Unlike writing, I never intend to make this a day job. I do it out of love for music. And it's a great way to take a creative break from writing. Not only can I give myself some space to mull over plot issues, I can tune into my own emotions and channel it into my writing later on. And it's so exciting to see how much I've learned in the past three years. I'm a looooooong way from perfect, but I can definitely play more complicated pieces now. It's a real confidence boost - you're never too old to start something new. And it's so cool to keep on trying and hear the improvement.

Oh, and yeah, learning to drive was way easier than learning to play the violin.

Although I still struggle to hit the right notes, my theory knowledge is lacking, and I may need help finding the right rhythm, I am a far better violinist today, and tomorrow I'll be even better.

Practice, practice, practice!

Comments

  1. I'm really really enjoying seeing your violin progress! It's so interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'd love to encourage others to do the same. You are never too old to learn something new :)

      Delete
  2. I admire your dedication! This post is inspiring and makes me want to try something I have been putting off for a long time.


    Maybe one day you'll share a video of you playing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!!! It's always worth trying ^_^

      haha, yeah, watch out Lindsey Stirling XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts