Life As a Small Blogger


Why yes, I am a planner when it comes to my small blog...

And my blog here is precisely that - small. You're not likely to see Miss Cole Seeks Publisher topping any huge blog award listings anytime soon. I have a lovely small audience who I try and tailor the majority of my posts to... Although some of my non-writing passions come through from time to time (or, y'know, constantly).

Some blogs will be huge. Others will be small. You've got to find your level. If you want to grow, work hard. And think about why you're blogging. Are you blogging just to gain a bigger audience or are you doing it out of a passion for your subject matter?

I am very grateful to everyone who takes the time to read my blog. I write this because I enjoy it. It's not making me any money, but it's a great way of reaching out to other writers and staying in touch with them. I know I'm not alone. And I kinda hope some of the stuff I've learned over all my years of writing could be of use to others. That's my blog's purpose - to share what I've learned, connect with others, and learn something from fellow writers. Blogs need a purpose, and you need to stick to it.

The thing about being a small blogger is it's very hard to get noticed to begin with. Look around your blogging community for events you can join in on. You'll soon make friends!

These days, I plan my blog at least a month in advance. It really takes the pressure off me trying to think of something to post last minute when I'm also working, writing books, playing the violin, and doing the other ton of stuff on my daily to do lists. I like to think I've become a more reliable blogger.


Blogging should be fun. It shouldn't be something you dread or something you struggle with. Find your niche and go from there. Work hard and put in the effort to reap the rewards. Like all things, it's easy to be discouraged when you put a lot of time and effort into your posts and don't seem to get much of a response. If that bothers you, keep on reaching out to others. Comment on their blogs and see if they'll check yours out. Just don't pressure people - "hey, I followed your blog, now follow mine!" Let the readers come of their own free will.

When starting this blog, I made the very firm decision to keep it focused on writing. Thankfully, that allows me to incorporate other things - such as music and tea - because they're part of my routine. Sometimes I really want to write game reviews (very out of date game reviews because I'm still a console generation behind), and occasionally the fangirl gets the better of me (I JUST HAVE SO MANY FEELS ABOUT THINGS), but on the whole, I've stayed on topic. I've tried things that have worked and dropped things that haven't, but on the whole, I really enjoy blogging and I intend to keep at it. And if my audience grows, that'd be just lovely. But I'm happy as a small blogger. I've made it fit into my life this way. And I can always get better at it!

Comments

  1. It'd be nice to have a bigger audience, but I don't blog for that. So it's like a nice bonus if it happens. Otherwise, yeah, being a small blogger is fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. This fits in with the rest of my life.

      Delete
  2. love this! It seems that writers are blogging less and less lately and it makes me sad because I love reading the insights others have about this crazy business and how they're progressing. I do it because I enjoy being able to make connections with others, not for followers. I wish I were as organized as you when it comes to my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Other people's writing routines fascinate me.

      Writers! Return to your blogs!!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that 2016 notebook is *so cute*!

    Completely agree that blogging should be fun. I see so many people struggle with blogging when they don't enjoy it, and yikes, it's painful to witness. If I didn't enjoy my blogging, I wouldn't be doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think there's this real pressure to have a blog if you're a writer, but if it doesn't work for you, don't worry about it. Twitter's a good alternative.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts