Happy Back to the Future Day! :D


Today's the DeLorean arrives from 1985! Grab a Pepsi Perfect and slip on your self-tying Nike shoes. I'm celebrating one of the greatest film trilogies of all time.

I adore these films. Even with their vision of 2015 being a little off, there's a real timeless quality to them. Marty and Doc are wonderful, and it's their friendship and the adventures they go on that make these films so engaging even after thirty years.

And don't forget the great message from the first film - "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." That's great advice, especially for us writers ;)

A huge part of my love for these films is childhood nostalgia. These films, more than any other, have been a part of my whole life. After all, I had to take the slow path from 1985 to 2015 ;) I went through a phase of watching the second film every day for a month when I was 11. Mostly because it was the only one I had recorded off the TV. Belated apologies to my parents and brothers, but let's face it, you all knew then that I had an obsessive streak.

Funny to think if you sent a seventeen-year-old back from now to 1985, it'd be the same as when Marty went back to 1955 from 1985. Can you imagine the culture shock for a modern day teenager? Walkmans! VHS! No smartphones. Videogaming in its infancy. The internet was barely a thing and nothing like it is today. Ah, good old 1985 ;)

...Not that I can have any nostalgia for 1985 itself. 1986 came along four days after I was born.

I do love how the film makers (and Pepsi :P) have really embraced the fondness people have for the trilogy. We've had some real treats leading up to today.




So, happy Back to the Future Day everyone. We made it to 2015. And maybe in another 30 years we will have flying cars and actual hoverboards.

What's your favourite thing about the Back to the Future films?

Comments

  1. I would watch Jaws 19 if it were real - that's kinda sad on my part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those movies, too!
    My 11 year old went to school dressed as Marty today :) He told me to watch out for Biff before he left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are amazing adverts! Man, I really want a hoverboard, even though I can't even work a normal skakeboard.

    I only watched the trilogy for the first time just over a year ago, and I really, really loved it. "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." = solid life advice, indeed.

    And I loved (REALLY REALLY loved) the new video from the Doc addressed to us all.

    The future is what you make it. So make it a good one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great, aren't they? I love how much care and attention went into all the anniversary material. And yes, that new Doc Brown video made me nostalgically tearful ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts