Bonus Round! Soundtrack Review - MATERIA: Final Fantasy VII Remixed

Soundtrack: MATERIA: Final Fantasy VII Remixed
Album Art Source
Year: 2015
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu, arranged by the fans
Stand Out Track: There is no way I can pick just one!!!! Please listen to the preview instead
Works Well With: Writing. Yup, that's it. Just writing.

Why don't you listen along on Spotify as I review this album? 

Inspired by this year's announcement that Final Fantasy VII would receive a remake, the Materia Collective's first album is a must own for fans of Final Fantasy VII, and anyone in need of good music to inspire their own creativity.

This is a mammoth and impressive project. It also proves how wonderful something can be when it's made out of love. It features over 80 tracks from nearly 200 artists, and covers just about every musical genre imaginable. I am in absolute awe of the talent on display. It's quite a treat to hear Nobuo Uematsu's familiar music arranged in new and exciting ways.

As someone who's only really beginning their journey into the world of making music, an album like this is so inspirational. I just want to get better and better so I can play the music I love. I'm looking forward to exploring more music by all these talented artists. Be sure to check them out here and in the album's digital booklet. 

The variety on offer is astounding. Classical, pop, rock, dance... And that's barely scratching the surface. I adore the upbeat, almost 1970s pop feel to Reichwind Takes to the Club. And Let the Battles Begin (80s Mix) is a real treat for fans of 80s pop. You've got a beautifully Celtic infused orchestral piece with Cetra Gaia. I've found myself humming along with the stunning vocal cover of the main theme that opens the whole album. It's perfection. The delicate strings in Buried in the Snow make me want to burrow into the blankets and watch the snow fall outside. Hearts is so calming, but you'll find its total opposite in the rock version of the usually mellow Prelude. Be sure to check out the A Cappella version of One Winged Angel, too! And (Fear Is) Lurking in the Darkness sounds like it's come straight out of a noir film. This album is that varied. Every track stands out, and all of them are special.

Oh, and SPOILER ALERT for The Essence of Aeris. TOO SOON GUYS. TOO SOON.

Honestly, I lack the musical knowledge to name every genre covered. All I know is I love this album! There's so much to explore. All of these tracks keep the spirit of the game intact. You could put this music in the game and it would feel absolutely right. Just listening to it conjures up the essence of the game. I listen to Under the Rotting Shinra and I am back in Midgar. Not only that, you can feel the love these fans have poured into their music. It comes across in every note. There are tracks that are so beautiful they give me chills, some that really connect with Final Fantasy's 8bit origins, and others that are so much fun they remind me of the game's lighter and funnier moments. Just listen to Highwind Shambles to the Sky or Waltz De Chocobo. They're absolutely brilliant! The vocal covers are a new experience for me. Holding Hands works so well. There's something for everyone on this album.

I want to thank everyone involved in this album for sharing their talent and their love for Final Fantasy VII with me and their fellow fans. It's one of the best albums I've had the joy to buy this year. You are all brilliant!

As a writer, I know I'll be coming back to this album a lot to inspire my work. There are great pieces to inspire my haunted locations, plenty to remind me of my characters, and more for each story's mysterious, dramatic or action-packed moments.

As a violinist, I'll be practicing hard so I can play some of Final Fantasy VII's greatest hits myself.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad I stumbled on this review! So glad you enjoyed the album, and it's nice to see my contributions reached out to someone. Thanks for listening, and sorry about the spoilers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stumbling upon it! Your contributions are fantastic. As for the spoilers, well, 18 years is a long time ;)

      Delete
  2. Yeaa! THANKS FOR THE REVIEW, and I'm glad to hear someone apprecaiting the diversity. It's SO DIVERSE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ You're welcome. It's probably the most diverse album I own.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review, and thanks for listening! ^^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Gotta let you all know how much I love it :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts