TBR Pile... DECIMATED!!! :D

Guys guys guys! My TBR pile is GONE! GONE! THERE ARE NO UNREAD BOOKS IN MY OFFICE!!!! :D :D :D


How did I get through the books so fast?

Firstly, five were from one of the most AMAZING THRILLER SERIES I HAVE EVER READ IN MY WHOLE LIFE OMG OMG OMG WHAT DO I DO NOW I HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR FOR MORE?!?!?!?!?! ;_;

Others were from a number of my favourite authors.

A handful were debuts or established authors I hadn't read before whose books sucked me in and didn't let go until I emerged at the end of their stories breathless with wonderment.

And others?

Weeeeeell...

Did.

Not.

Finish.

Here are my July TBR Stats:

Read: Ten
DNF'd: Six
Disqualified: One. Irritatingly, it's the fourth in a series I haven't read, so I will go back and buy the first eventually because it does sound very, very cool. 

The DNFs simply weren't my kind of books. None of them were bad. They just weren't what I wanted. That being said, my reading tastes have changed this year. I've read a lot of books outside my usual comfort zone, most notably contemporaries and literary novels, genres I don't read a lot of but found myself drawn into more than expected.

Sometimes I surprise myself.

So, what have I discovered by forcing myself to dispatch my TBR pile?

1) I know what I like.
2) I love it when a book I'm curious about in a less explored genre turns out to be one of the best things I've read in ages.
3) I really know what I don't like, and no amount of people telling me "this is the BEST BOOK EVER!!!!" will change my mind.
4) Patience is important when I'm reading something that might not grab me straight away but is beautifully written and full of promise.
5) It's absolutely fine to stop reading something I don't enjoy.
6) Always give books I don't like to friends, family members, book swaps and charity. Someone else out there will probably love it.


You will always DNF books, even when they sound like something you'd love. That's just the way of life. But this little challenge of mine has shown me that a little self-control isn't such a bad thing, and neither is testing my own literary tastes. I do love a surprise!

Yes, I'm sure come this weekend I will have regained a TBR pile of some description. But for now, I'm going to bask in the fact that I have nothing to read! Nothing!

RE-READS HERE I COME!!!

Comments

  1. That's amazing. Really I have such a huge TBR pile, let's be honest it's not a pile so much as a large portion of my books. I have so many unread books on my shelves and my kindle I constantly question as I buy more if I will ever find time to read everything. Having your TRB pile finished is beyond amazing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I just had a moment and decided that TBR piles were no longer my friend, so it had to go. It feels very nice to see the empty tray I kept all my unread books in. I suspect I shall be filling that tray up again over the weekend, but it was nice while it lasted ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts