Things I Have Learned Writing the Ghost!Book Series

Thanks to Emma for finding the gif ;)
  1. You better keep a damn good notebook for all those cross-book things you have to keep track of.
  2. Ignore that "get an agent for the first one before writing more!" advice. WRITE WHAT YOU DAMN WELL WANT.
  3. ...but seriously, keep good notes.
  4. AND ENJOY EVERY WORD, WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
  5. Write down everything about books you haven't started yet so you can sprinkle that delicious foreshadowing.
  6. NO, THAT DOES NOT STRICTLY SPEAKING COUNT AS PLANNING.
  7. OMG SHUT UP BRAIN, WE ARE PANTSERS!
  8. Ahem.
  9. Keep detailed character sheets.
  10. Revel in how fun it is that your characters keep going and going and changing and growing.
  11. Really revel in those evil twists for later books (MWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!)
  12. Know your world.
  13. Know your rules.
  14. Don't break those rules.
  15. Have a team of AMAZEBALLS beta readers who cheer you on, make you feel great about your book, but aren't afraid to tell you what needs work.
  16. reallyreallyreally look forward to sending them some of the AWESOME PLOT TWISTS you have in store ;) 
  17. Stopping when an idea isn't working is a lot better than forcing yourself to go on.
  18. And, actually, that's why you should definitely ignore number two - how will you know if you're querying a "standalone with series potential" until you try writing that series?
  19. My original idea for book two didn't work out, but the next idea did. I'm glad I gave myself the opportunity to fail.
  20. If you're scaring yourself, you've probably got the horror thing right.
  21. If it feels right, write it, even if it's the hardest thing you've ever done.
  22. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. 
  23. Edit accordingly. If something in a later book needs grounding in an earlier book, be sure to put those roots down.
  24. Enjoy the research.
  25. Stop researching things that aren't quite the thing you were looking for.
  26. Have fun.
If I learn anything else while writing a series, I'll be sure to share it.

    Comments

    1. I think keeping track of details is the most difficult part of writing a series. Especially the smaller details, because my brain's always convinced it'll remember them... :P

      I actually find knowing the world/rules and characters is more important than outlining (though it helps to know those evil plot twists *muahahaha*). I don't think I could query or publish the first in a series without knowing how it ends, though!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah, I learned very quickly I wouldn't remember the little things. My project notebook and MS Word's notation ability have helped me keep it all straight.

        I rarely know how things end exactly. Normally by about halfway through I'll have an inkling. It's always an adventure getting there!

        Delete
    2. GHOST STORY. I LOOOOVEEE GHOST STORY SO MUUUUCCHHHHH.
      *wails, ghostily*

      But seriously, it's been an amazingly fun project to beta read, thank you for bringing it into my life. :) And seeing you enjoying a project with a focsu on *yourself* and what you want to write has helped me out a lot -- I'm working on a hard-to-sell project right now that I LOVE SO MUCH and I'm so happy to be working on it again, "riskiness" be damned.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I LOVE THAT YOU LOVE GHOST!STORY SO MUCH!!! <3

        You're so welcome. I just knew I couldn't write to trend - and not because agents say not to. If I'm not interested, I'm not going to bother.

        Delete
    3. These are such great reminders! I am sort of a half-pantser/half-plotter myself. I think about a few plot points/character arcs, but don't get bogged down in detailed outlining (or folowing said outline) when I actually sit down and first draft.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Outlines do not compute. In fact they kind of horrify me ^^;

        Delete
    4. I love lists like this. Some of these I do and a lot of these I want to do. I keep getting trapped by 25. Love the ghost gif!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I forced myself to stop doing number 25 and it really helped my writing get back on track.

        It's a great gif. I'm so glad Emma shared it ^_^

        Delete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts