A Writer's Day Out

Days out for research are a lot of fun. And I don't just mean intellectual research, like the kind you might carry out at a museum or a library. I'm also talking about days out for general inspiration.

Last week I visited Nymans, a beautiful home in the Sussex countryside that partially burned down in the 1940s. Perfect ghost story inspiration, wouldn't you say?





I also went up to London for inspiration at the V&A Museum and the Transport Museum. Both were very inspiring in their own ways... but seeing as what they inspired is for future projects, I'm not at liberty to discuss the details ;)

If you can go out somewhere different for the day, whether for specific research of general inspiration, do it! It'll help breathe life into your stories in a way pictures on a screen can't.

Comments

  1. Oh wow, Nymans is gorgeous! I'll have to add that to my list of places to visit. Have you read The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters? It's set during the post-WW2 summer in this crumbling Georgian mansion, and I'm pretty sure it's a ghost story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! I have never heard of this place until today but I am definitely going to try to visit once in my life. It kinda looks like what I imagined Thornfield from Jane Eyre to look like. And yes it is the perfect inspiration for a ghost story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you can visit one day. It's very beautiful.

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful photos, and yes, perfectly lovely and spooky for a ghost story. Agree with you on this advice. Sometimes just being in a new place can get the creative juices going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes photos just aren't inspiring enough. You just have to get up and get out :D

      Delete
  4. Yes, as lovely as Pinterest is, I agree. Getting up and moving in, breathing in the space are entirely necessary.

    Now. If someone will just pay for my plane tickets for some of said research sites ...anyone please? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts