Monthly Soundtrack Reviews - Star Trek Into Darkness

Soundtrack: Star Trek Into Darkness
Album Art Source
Year: 2013
Composer: Michael Giacchino
Stand Out Track: London Calling
Works Well With: Science-Fiction, Action, Thrillers, HEART STOMPING TRAGEDY

Now, I'll be honest with you guys, the only place to find my actual favourite piece of music from this score is on the Deluxe version. However, as the regular version of this OST is far easier to get your hands on, I'm reviewing that. I highly recommend the Deluxe edition, as it has every piece of music on it and it is spectacular.

I can't believe it's already been a year since I heard this score performed live. Michael Giacchino's music is astounding. You will feel every emotion, sometimes in the same piece of music. Listen to The San Fran Hustle and you'll hear what I mean. The piece swings between action, anguish and hope within just a few minutes. It's brilliant.

When Michael Giacchino wants his music to break your heart, he does it in style. Just listen to Buying the Space Farm. Oh. My. Feels. And if that's not enough, try Meld-Merized. Oh, oh, oh, and Brigadoom. You got bad stuff going on in your book? Listen to this soundtrack.

Looking to write action sequences? Give the Kronos Wartet a go. Yes, that is the title. Yes, the choir is chanting in Klingon. No, I don't have a clue what they're saying, but it is very dramatic. Ship to Ship is equally intense, especially if you're writing a scene when you don't want your readers to know if your characters are going to make it until the very last moment.

Kirk Enterprises and Sub Prime Directive both have a great sense of hope to them, which is what Star Trek was ultimately always about - hope for a better future. Do your characters go through hell but make it out the other side? This soundtrack has you covered.

With so much variety, and such wonderful compositions, this is one of my favourite scores of all time. It's quite different to the 2009 soundtrack, and suits Into Darkness' heavier tone. I think it's why I've found myself listening to it lately... Ooh, better stop there before I spoil what I'm working on ;)

Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of the movie, but I haven't yet listened to the soundtrack. I'll have to check it out! I've been loooooving the Mad Max: Fury Road OST lately. Great music for writing! Thanks for the rec, Cole! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best. I really hope you like it :D

      I will check out the Mad Max OST once I've seen the film. Hoping I'll find the time next weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts