A Handful of Great YA Books

(Miss Cole's Tea Time is moving to Wednesdays! See you then for a lovely tea!)


Today, I really wanted to share the love for a number of my favourite YA books of all time. Sometimes I spend so much time on this blog talking about writing, I forget to mention that I also really love reading. Whoops!

So now, in no particular order, here's a selection of the greatest YA out there.

Gone by Michael Grant

Everyone under the age of fifteen becomes trapped in the city by an invisible barrier. Some of them develop super powers. Then hell breaks loose. Gone doesn't shy away from the horror, which is why its such an intense read. It's downright nasty at times, but I can never put it down.

Point Blanc by Anthony Horowitz

This book is falling apart from how much I've re-read it. The book opens with Alex Rider chasing down drug dealers and stopping them with a crane. It just gets better from there.

Double or Die by Charlie Higson

It's a race against time to save a professor from scheming Russians. I LOVE IT! Aside from developing James Bond as a character, the setting of this book is fantastic. You really feel the damp, dreary weather of 1930s London.
  
Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

Lyra's adventure captures me the same at 29 as it did when I first read it aged 10. I find something new every time. Beautiful, imaginative, and rich beyond belief. I love this story.
172 Hours On The Moon by Johan Haarstad

YA sci-fi at its best. This book will leave you unsettled, and that's what I like from a good sci-fi. Great mystery, engaging characters, and one hell of a twist. If you like sci-fi, you need to give this a read.
The Diviners by Libba Bray

New York City comes alive in this historical novel. Whenever I think of this book, I remember how the descriptions of the city pulled me in. An excellent example of historical fiction written perfectly.
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Todd is one of the most ordinary MCs on this whole list, and that's what makes him stand out. He's so believable. He's angry, confused, and he doesn't know what to do. That's what makes him so real.
Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden

This series gave me nightmares when I read it as a young teenager. In a nutshell: Australia goes to war and a group of teenagers not rounded up in the initial attack become guerrilla soldiers. It's a story of survival in desperate times.


So, there are just a few of my favourite YA books. Some are old, some are new, all are great. Have you read any?

Comments

  1. Yipes! I've only read "Tomorrow When the War Began" - which I loved. And other Libba Bray lit, which I also loved. But Knife of Never Letting Go is the next thing I'm reading after An Ember in the Ashes ... looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some of Libba Bray's other books in my TBR pile and I'm really looking forward to reading them :D

      The Knife of Never Letting Go is astonishing. Let me know how you feel once you've read it.

      Delete
    2. I'm reading it right now. Only 60 page in, but LOVE. It's already gotten me in trouble with the hubs twice. He's talking, and I'm sitting there, reading, and it's like "What did you say? It's all just Noise" ;)

      Delete
    3. I AM THE CIRCLE AND THE CIRCLE IS ME

      ;)

      I loved it from "Poo, Todd. Poo." One of the greatest novels out there.

      Delete
  2. I have a few of the books on my list to read (Patrick Ness, Libba Bray) and now I think I need to add 172 HOURS ON THE MOON. The amount of sci-fi I've read is sorely lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! It's so good. I really loved it. 172 Hours... is one of the best books I read in 2014.

      Delete
  3. I still need to pick up the rest of the Gone series! The first book was awesome, but it's one of those series I haven't got round to finishing yet. I've read most of the Alex Rider books because I borrowed them from my brother, but I don't think I finished that series, either.

    I can never decide which is my favourite of the His Dark Materials series... I think NORTHERN LIGHTS is incredible, but I love the universe-hopping in the other books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic series, and I really felt like the ending was everything it needed to be.

      Northern Lights is my undisputed favourite. It's a nostalgia thing ;)

      Delete
  4. The Northern Lights. <3 <3 <3

    And <3 <3 <3 to THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO as well, which I've gradually realized I love despite being SO MAD AT IT but I loooveee it.

    Really need to read THE DIVINERS and GONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need to read both asap ;)

      MANCHEE!!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts