Why I Blog: Getting Advice

One of the reasons I started exploring blogs was because I needed advice. Advice on editing, and, later on, tips on querying. And while not everything I've tried has worked for me (No, plotters, I will NOT have detailed spreadsheets dictating chapter outlines before I write. No no no no NO!), everything has informed and developed my writing method.

I really wouldn't have known where to start with querying if not for all the trail-blazers who blogged about their own process. I learned how to query via blogs. I also discovered where to look for agents online, and how to be sure the agencies were reputable. Without the advice available on other writers' blogs, I don't think I'd have gotten as far as I have with querying.

It's not just querying. So many elements of my writing routine were inspired by other bloggers. My whiteboards, the awesome calendar of stickers, attending events like WriteOnCon and YALC: all of that comes from seeing other people talk about it. And it's not just that. I wouldn't have tried my luck with various pitching competitions, and I definitely wouldn't have found my amazing beta readers without my fellow bloggers.

So, if you're a writer in need of some advice, blogs are the place to find it. So many writers, from those who are published, to those of us still seeking represenation (Yo!) know that sharing their experiences may provide the advice someone else needs. We support each other. We want you to know what works for us might work for you, so why not give it a go? That's the great thing about the blogging community. There's plenty of advice. It's up to you to decide what works and what doesn't.

Advice I can offer: good tea and good music.

Any blogs you want to share? Shameless self-promotion is welcomed and encouraged ;)

Comments

  1. I have gotten a ton of great advise in several different areas because of blogs. I think they are an amazing tool to learn from and meet amazing people.

    BTW I adore your cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true!

      It was a Christmas present from a website called "Not On The Highstreet" ^_^

      Delete
    2. I may have to check that site out and leave some hints to the family and close friends ;)

      Delete
    3. You should. There's so much to choose from :)

      Delete
  2. If you're at the querying stage, LiteraryRambles.com is a goldmine of information on agencies and individual agents. A great place to start research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I use that site ^_^ It's an amazing resource.

      Delete
  3. I honestly don't know where I would be without blogs. I dove in headfirst as soon as I decided I wanted to write novels, and thank goodness. Also, even if you don't like detailed spreadsheets, briefly jotting down what you plan on writing before you sit down for the day always helps me. . . plotters just love to share what they do in case you couldn't tell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading about what you plotters get up to. It all looks so pretty and helpful! But I like to just do my own thing ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts