Why I Blog: Community

I love our community of writers. There's so much support and encouragement available. It's a constant reminder than even though I spend hours at my desk completely alone, I'm not as isolated as I think.

Chandler Bing speaks to me on a molecular level

You really, really, really do have someone!

While I do the bulk of my daily writerly interaction on Twitter, that's not a platform that really allows for depth and exploration the way a blog can. And I wouldn't be on Twitter if not for good ol' Miss Cole Seeks Publisher. My blog is the reason I met so many of you guys! And it's led to real life meet-ups. If you've never met fellow writers in the real world, you need to do that ASAP. It's amazing to be able to speak with fellow writers who know exactly what it's like to go through the highs and lows of being unrepresented and unpublished. And, far more importantly, who know what it's like to be caught up in the rush of an exciting new story.

However, seeing as we can't all hang out every day (how would we ever get anything done?), blogs are great places to communicate with your fellow writers. Share your triumphs and your frustrations. Share what you've learned or ask what you want to know. Take part in bloghops to find people who write in your genre, or like reading the same books as you. And remember: your fellow writers are there to offer support and advice for when you have bad days. Everyone has bad writing days/weeks/months/years. You're not alone, and there's a place for everyone: experts, novices, and the curious.

Yes, a writer's life can be a lonely one, but you don't really have to look so far to find friendship and a solid support network. That's why I love blogging so much. I can keep up with your writing journeys, share my own, and we can come together to cheer each other on.

Is blogging dying out, replaced by things like Twitter? I don't think so. Yes, it's a big commitment, but it's well worth it. You won't see me giving up on this little corner of the internet anytime soon.

Comments

  1. YES to everything in this post. I like how personal blogging is and it's nice to catch up with writer friends when you don't have to limit your conversations to 140 characters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      As great as Twitter is, it's definitely not as handy as a blog. Everything has its uses.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post. I'm always pleasantly surprised to find out that people read my blog or like what I post there. Also, I completely understand what you mean about twitter, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, twitter is great, but for lengthier encouragement and tips, blogs will always reign!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts