Why I Blog: Chronicling My Journey

Blogging is brilliant. I get that I'm probably preaching to the choir right now, but I really love to blog. It's what connects me to the wider writing community, which seems like a mystical thing when you're holed up in your writing cave, hammering out all the words. The blogging community reminds every writer they're not alone. So, for the rest of this month, I will be posting the reasons I'm a blogger on Fridays.

One of the main reasons I set up my blog was to chronicle my own journey. Since 2011, I've been able to record the ups and downs of my various projects, ones that made it all the way to querying and others that stalled or died in the earlier stages. It's a great reminder of the progress I've made, and the lessons I've learned. Sharing my journey with other writers, and reading their own stories, is supportive and fascinating. Not only is it great to know I'm not alone, I find the way other writers work intriguing. Especially you plotters and planners. I love looking at your orderly post it note collections and your smart spreadsheets.

I'm more of a retroactive planner.

Blogging also forced me to be accountable. It's fun to look back on some of the things I said I would do and know I've done most of them. Not everything has worked out, several stories have floundered over the course of this blog, but it's a good boost to know I can set myself goals and hit them. I do like to surpass them, too. What can I say, part of me will always aim to be an overachiever.

Do you like to use your blog as a chronicle of your path to publication? Was that your original motivation? It was definitely one of my main reasons. I'll explain the other three in the upcoming weeks.

Comments

  1. I really like having a blog not just to chronicle writing events, but life in general: weekend trips, cool photographs, how my pets are getting on, weird stuff I saw when out and about. I quite enjoy looking back over the years at what I got up to and all the little joys I would otherwise have forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to share a little bit of my life stuff, especially if it relates to writing or fangirling ;) Or something that might be inspiring to others.

      Delete
    2. I love your life stuff -- tea! Kingdom Hearts! Kicking butt on the violin!

      Delete
    3. ^_^ Thanks! I love your blog, too! MOAR GOOD STUFF! Especially pretty pictures of Scotland.

      Delete
  2. Mine was originally set up to connect with other writers, and chat about the writing and querying process, which was a wall of confusion for me, all those years ago when I first started out.
    Sadly, a lot of my compatriots from that first year have disappeared from the blog world. But there are always new people to meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen bloggers fade away. It's a shame, but as you say, there are plenty of new people to find.

      I definitely learned everything I know about querying from blogs. I think I would've made way more mistakes had I not had other people's guidance.

      Delete
  3. I started my blog because all my friends I gushed to about the books I was reading or the movies I'd see would say they loved my honest feedback on them. Then I found book bloggers and I was amazed with the idea of just putting out my thoughts on things and sharing them with a much larger audience. Since then I've learned many things, made great friends and connections. I like your idea to chronicle your journey, I should probably do that myself but I'd be depressed with my huge gaps without any progress on my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book bloggers are amazing. So much passion and excitement.

      Don't let it depress you! Just go with the flow and see what happens. You never know when inspiration will strike.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I've just got to actually do it and push through my fears if I'm going to. Until then though I love blogging about books so I figure I win either way ;)

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a good plan ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts