Try a New Genre

My current WiP is a big departure from the science fiction I usually write.

It's exactly what I needed.

Last year, I wrote two drafts and got stuck halfway through a third (which at some point I must fix because that stalled book has a great concept). However, nothing I wrote last year would ever be good enough to query. One book was always going to be a personal project (and it was so much fun to write), but MagicalGirl!Story just didn't work quite like I wanted it to.

The time had come to try something new. Halfway through December 2014, I started a contemporary ghost story and here I am, not quite two months later, sending it off to the first round of beta readers. I have never written and edited a book like this before. The new challenges the book presented spurred me on to work really hard.

And there's the finished second draft! :D

Ideas are ideas. They come and they have to be written, regardless of the genre we "usually" write in. I love science-fiction, and it's a wonderfully broad genre to write in, but I needed a change. My writing needed a change if I was going to improve.

Write whatever you want, especially if you feel like you're stagnating as a writer. New genres bring new challenges, new characters, and new adventures! Ever had an idea poke you, but you've ignored it in favour of your usual genre? Don't. Write it. Set your imagination free. Who knows what could happen?

Comments

  1. So looking forward to reading this. :D Exciiiitteed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Cole - I think this is something I really needed to hear right now.

    Best of luck with your WIP! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting! I love it when an idea grabs hold of you out of the blue and gets you fired up. I hope this goes very well for you. Keep writing what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! I guess a change of genres works much like a change of scene. :)

    Sometimes I toy with the idea of changing a work in progress to a wildly different genre...but you're right, the comfort zone can be hard to escape. Also, work. So much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! It can be tricky to get out of your comfort zone, but it's well worth doing so :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts