Coping With Rejection: It's Not All Bad

In my final post about rejection, let's look at the positives.

It's about the experience you gain. Every rejection I've received taught me about my writing weaknesses and, more importantly, my writing strengths. I know what I'm good at, and that's a great confidence boost. I also know what needs work in future projects.

The more you write and query, the better you get. Colony is a better book because of the lessons I learned while querying Resistance. Going into Colony, I prepared how to query it while writing the first draft. Doing so kept the plot from becoming unnecessarily complicated. I didn't appreciate how convoluted Resistance was until I tried to write its initial query and synopsis. I didn't really know what at the time, but a handful of rejections later and I started to see that particular problem. For Colony, not only was I able to keep the plot from running away from me, I was able to write a query letter and tweak it as I edited the MS. I had a neat summary of the plot on hand at all times, which came in very handy during the long months of editing.

And it's not just about the experience you gain with your writing. I've also learned I'm not alone. I'm not the only writer out there being rejected. You are not the only writer being rejected. It happens to all of us, and we can support each other through those tough times. That's why I put together this series after all.

Rejections aren't enough to make me give up on my dream of becoming a published author. If anything, every rejection makes me even more determined. Writing isn't something I can turn my back on. It's part of me.

Don't give up. You can't. It's not an option. Keep going, keep writing, keep querying, keep learning, and one day, it won't be a rejection. It'll be an offer.

Let me offer one of my favourite pieces of music to keep you going: Not Alone, by Nobuo Uematsu. Just remember, if you're feeling down about rejections, you're not alone, and there's a whole community of writers out there ready to support you.

Direct link here

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts