Coping With Rejection: Cry!

Yes, this week, I am advocating crying. Sobbing. Wailing. General tears-leaking-from-eyeballs.

I don't know about you guys, but I tend to be okay with my first few waves of rejections, but around the fourth wave, especially if there are a few fulls thrown in there and the day job is wearing me out, things start getting pretty emotional. It's not much fun having rejections. Even the really nice ones that tell you you're a good writer and you've just got to find the right agent start to feel less inspiring and more sob-inducing.

So, yeah, cry it out. Get all that sadness out.

And then do whatever makes you happy. Stock up on stuff to give yourself an emotional boost. Set aside a cheer yourself up budget when you're querying. You'll be grateful for it.

A little pile of happiness for me

Hang out with friends and family, too. Don't neglect the rest of your life, because querying isn't the be all and end all. The other people in your life can remind you of that, whether they realise they're doing it or not.

Oh, and keep querying. If you do take a break during the harder times (and don't be afraid to say 'I need a few weeks'), once you've got your energy back, go for it again. Remember, the only way you'll get an agent is to keep sending your work out to them.

Be prepared to cry. Be prepared to feel miserable. But also be ready for the day you realise actually, yeah, you can take the rejection and, yeah, you can totally keep going.

You've got this.

Comments

  1. Loving this blog series! I used to let myself have one publishing-related breakdown a month, but now it's more like once a year. When I get bad publishing-related news now, I just take it as a challenge to write anyway. Writing can be pretty therapeutic, especially if it's something violent... hmm, possibly that explains a lot. :P

    Definitely don't give up! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Writing is definitely therapeutic. And I like to take rejections as a challenge to do better next time, too.

      Delete
  2. This post hit me right in the feels. Especially that you need to get back up and do it again. *anime yell* NO MATTER WHAT!

    Also, those are the RADDEST headphones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would *love* to be an anime voice actor just so I could do all that shouting and dramatic pausing ;)

      Haha, they're Sony headphones. They weren't insanely expensive either (Maybe £50?) Had them for a few years now. Well worth the money.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts