What's Up Wednesday and Musical Advent Calendar Day Seventeen!

Welcome to the final What's Up Wednesday of 2014, hosted as always, by delightful sisters Jaime and Erin :D

What I'm Reading

Had to put the book I'm reading down because of the next section :P

What I'm Writing (+1 Goal)

Paper edit is complete! Now I'm reading the story through and making notes on what needs work in each chapter. After removing something like 12,000 words and at least one unnecessary subplot, I had to dive in and find what's running smoothly, what needs work, and what else needs deleting.

My goal, which will have to carry on all the way through to January, is to finish this round of edits.

What Works For Me

A little bit of pre-Christmas time off from the day job. It's really enabled me to get to grips with this editing malarkey ;)

Plus this cake, which my boss' very kindly gave me, has gone down an absolute treat. How spoiled (and unbelievably grateful!) am I? ^_^

YUM

What Else I'm Up To

I finished playing Uncharted 3 last week and honestly? That's one series of games that really grew on me. I still don't like the first one, the second one is a step in the right direction, but the third one is brilliant. Like, all the pieces they set out in the other two finally came together to create a really solid game. It just has such beautiful locations, especially the French Chateau level. I want to go there in real life, dammit!

And now, for day seventeen of my musical advent calendar! Thank you all for your comments so far. I'm loving putting this together every day, and it's great to know you're getting something out of it ^_^

So, given the gaming binge I've been on lately, there's really only one piece of music I can share today.

Direct link here

Not only is this a great piece of music, like a call to adventure, it comes from an amazing album, which you should all buy right now. Actually, there's two of them, and if you're not into videogames but like your writing music epic, you can't go wrong with these.

I will inevitably share more from the various Uncharted OSTs in the future. There's some great music to be found on them :D

So, everyone, have a wonderful festive season, a happy new year, and I'll see you in 2015 for the next What's Up Wednesday!

Comments

  1. I don't play a lot of video games so the whole video game soundtrack category is one I have yet to mine. This piece was beautiful--not that I'm surprised because you have good taste!

    Congrats on finishing your paper edit! Sounds like you really did a major overhaul! Good luck with all those chapter notes and smoothing everything out. Enjoy that delicious looking cake and the rest of the holiday season, Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin ^_^ I'll be sure to keep sharing the best music gaming has to offer.

      Delete
  2. Aw, how nice of your boss!

    I've caught Pete playing Uncharted before and I'm interested in trying it out at some point. There's a slasher game coming out next year that sounds and looks amazing. Called Until Dwan. First time I've ever been excited for one!

    (Sorry, had to delete last post. Spelling mistake!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel really appreciated, because cake is a great way to say thank you ^_^

      I recommend skipping the first one and going straight into the second Uncharted. I reaaaaaaaally don't like the first one... although that's probably because it felt like such a Tomb Raider rip off. It definitely finds its own rhythm in the second two.

      (No worries! Blogger really needs an edit option...)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on completing your paper edit, and good luck with your next round of edits! :)

    Your musical advent calender is such a cool idea. :D

    Ooo, that cake looks very yummy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'm glad you like the calendar ^_^

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your edits! I'm on my final (for now) round and I've chopped a ton of words in the process.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with all the editing! :) Enjoy that awesome cake, and have a fantastic Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting the paper edits done, and good luck with the remainder of this round's editing! And, yes, that cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully by the next WUW, I'll be able to say I'm taking a short break ;)

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing up the paper edits! And you're right, "malarkey" is a great way of describing it lol. (Side note: Don't you love the word "malarkey"?) That cake looks delicious! Have a Merry Christmas, Cole! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the word. Definitely an all time favourite.

      Merry Christmas to you, too, Jaime!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on finishing those edits. It's kind of crazy how they never end, right? I hope it goes really well for you this month. Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, very crazy. This book has a loooong way to go yet, but I'll get there ^_^

      Happy Christmas! :D

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you got a lot done! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never gotten into big epic games like that, mainly because less epic games like candy crush already steel way to much of my time. I know if I let myself play games like Uncharted I'd never get anything done.

    Have a great week and a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I specifically avoid games like Candy Crush for exactly that reason. The best videogames are interactive stories. Well worth your time :) And as for Uncharted, I cleared through the whole series in about eight days, minus the wait for deliveries.

      Thanks, and you!

      Delete
  12. Good luck with the rest of your edits! That cake looks really cute, the type of cake I'd be loath to cut up and eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It was tough to cut up, but well worth it for the taste ^_^

      Delete
  13. I was going... to say something... about editing... but OH MY GOSH THAT CAKE. THAT CAAAKKEEE. IT'S SO PRETTY.

    But seriously, good luck with your holiday editing. Cutting 12k already is an amazing feat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      Hah, 12K of rubbishness. ONWARD TO GREATNESS.

      Delete
  14. What a sweet cake! and what strength you have to set a book aside to write! Congrats on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it really hard to concentrate on someone else's novel when I'm also reading my own. Can't have distractions!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Wow, that's an awesome-looking cake, Cole! :) All the best with the edits. I hope you get plenty of time to enjoy the season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could pop on over for some cake! And we could talk books and writing and editing malarky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to go on your paper edits! I love editing on paper- there's just something so satisfying about it!
    That cake looks yummy- it's making my stomach growl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I love crossing stuff out with a pen on a paper edit :)

      Delete
  18. That cake looks deliciously adorable! How fun to have bosses like that.

    Good luck with all the editing! Hope you have a great holiday break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really fun! :D

      Thanks, Kris. Same to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts