The Worst Time To Give Up

My confidence had a bit of a wobble the other day. I read on an agency blog that editors have YA sci-fi fatigue, and here's me querying Colony, a YA sci-fi book.


In a single sentence, my confidence took a big hit. I thought about my current project, about how much I love it, except agents might not be looking for sci-fi for much longer, so maybe it was all a waste of time... 

And that would have been the absolute worst time to give up.

While my current WiP is a long way from querying, Colony has had a lot of near misses, and there's no way I'm giving up on that book now. My love for it hasn't changed, and the feedback I've had on it only proves I have to keep going. Sci-fi is a gigantic genre with so many different aspects, so I can't just think "well, that's that whole genre dead in the water! Better come up with something else. Maybe I can write contemporary..."

It can be so easy to see stuff like "this genre is totally oversubscribed" and lose your way. One trend fades out, so why not hop aboard another bandwagon? Plenty of agents talk about not chasing trends, and it can be really easy to lose sight of why you write when you do so. Someday I WILL have an agent, and I WILL see my work in print, but I'm not going to do that by being beaten down by potentially bad news or by chasing trends. If you give up, you're never going to get anywhere, and the worst time to make big decisions like "it's time to move on" is when you're feeling really down and defeated.

Querying is tough. You're going to experience more emotions than you think, and sometimes they're not all good, and it's when things aren't going well that you really have to dig deep and keep going. Accept the bad news and the rejections, but don't let any of it stop you from writing what you love, because who knows what could happen in the future.

Comments

  1. Hang in there girl. I'm on the same boat. We just have to remember that we are not alone. Every single published author has faced rejection in there lives. I know it's cliche, but it's true. I found it extremely inspiring to hear stories from some of my favorite authors in person. That's what's giving me hope.
    Good luck. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very true. Thanks for your support. The very best of luck to you :)

      Delete
  2. Yep, I've been there too many times over the past year - it's why I had to take a sanity break from the trenches and write the story I really wanted to! I don't think I could ever write to trends (especially as I seem to be incapable of sticking to one genre within one book :P). Your time will come! Agents are looking for great stories above everything else! If you're getting encouraging feedback, it's definitely a good sign! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma ^_^

      Based on the feedback I've had, I'd be *insane* to quit now. TO VICTORY!!!!!

      Taking the time out to write for yourself definitely sounds like the perfect querying coping method. Best of luck to you. I'm so excited to see what happens with your current projects!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this! It's so easy to think 'it's never going to happen'. But it definitely won't if you give up. I'm like you, I've come close in my querying, and I don't want to shelve this ms just yet. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When talking about trends, the thing to remember is that publishing is SLOW. Publishers are currently buying for their 2016 lists. Who knows what'll be "in" then? And no publisher will turn down a book in any genre if a) it's brilliant, and b) they can sell it.

    Just keep writing the stories you care about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So slow! Trends change and who knows, two years from now people might want vampire novels by the boatload again.

      Delete
  5. DON'T GIVE UP. DON'T EVER GIVE UP.

    Colony is sooooo good. I believe in it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3

      I want that on a t-shirt: "I BELIEVE IN COLONY" ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts