Draft Done? Break time!

I mentioned during yesterday's What's Up Wednesday that I'm taking a break from my manuscript before diving into the first edit. Why? Well, sometimes it's great to take a step back from what you've just written so you can get some perspective. Two weeks away means I've had a chance to ponder a few of the issues I know the book has and make a few notes.

Time away doesn't mean I can't still make notes. Notes are important. Always make notes! You never want to forget that important little details you want to add in or change. 

You don't have to take time away, and I haven't always in the past, but for this book, I needed to let the draft stew while I came up with some solutions to its problems; which I now have, woo! I have spent the past two weeks enjoying a variety of distractions, many of which have given my brain the time to think about the problems without focusing solely on that problem. Sort of like letting the solution come to me while I beat up various creatures with a giant, blunt key.

Kingdom Hearts in a single gif

^_^

So, if you want to take a break, DO IT! Read loads, play loads, watch loads, walk loads... Don't feel bad about wanting time away. It can be essential to rediscovering your love for the story. Distance does make the heart grow fonder, after all.

But if you love that book too much and want to dive right in, don't feel like you can't. Everyone does things their own way, and I needed a break.

All I know is these past two(ish) weeks of not writing have left me full of enthusiasm to get back to it and make that book AMAZING. My draft is printed, my pens, post-its and notebook are ready, and I'm so excited! This is going to be the best thing I've written to date.

Comments

  1. Oh yes, absolutely - I always find it's best to leave a draft for as long as possible. Like you say, gives time to think about it and become more objective etc about it. I'm currently making lots of notes for a draft I'm about to start editing - looking forward to getting started :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I feel like I actually know what I need to do and I am gonna make this book SHINE!

      Good luck to you :D

      Delete
  2. It varies with me. I left my MG fantasy for six months before I dared look at it again, but as you know, I definitely didn't do that with my latest MS! :P Distance can be the best way to think of solutions to tricky issues, for sure.

    Glad to hear you're feeling inspired! Hope the editing goes well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few books I've left for a looooong time. Years, in fact. Violin!Story, for example, hasn't even been opened since I finished it. I still have no intention of touching it, but who knows when that might change...

      Cheers! Same to you for the next round of your edits.

      Delete
  3. Ah, look at you all fired up! Hope the edit goes swimmingly. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gif pretty much sums up Kingdom Hearts. Good luck with edits. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that's missing is the Heartless ;)

      Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts