The Writing Lifestyle: Social Media

Social media connects writers to each other and it's a great way of finding inspiration. There are so many options out there, and it can seem a little daunting. I would be lying if I said I used them all... Actually, I'm pretty limited with the platforms I use, and that's not such a bad thing. I don't have time to use every single social media program going, especially if I want to actually write some books.  If you find yourself stressing about social media, maybe cutting back and using the essentials, or only your favourites, would be a good idea.

So here's a wee guide to some the social media platforms you can use.

Blogging

Obviously, I use Blogger, but there's also Wordpress, Tumblr (I'll get to that) and good ol' Livejournal. Blogging is an amazing way to reach out and connect with others.  I imagine the technical terms are something like build your platform! Create an audience! I like to think of it in slightly friendlier terms: welcome to my little corner of the Internet.  Let's be friends!

Twitter

Other than staying in touch with friends around the world, Twitter is such an amazing way to find and connect with agents. You can find out the kind of projects various agents are looking for, pitch to them during events, and, just as importantly, find out if they're currently closed to queries.  You can also support fellow writers there, and I'm sure you'll find they're willing to cheer you on, too.

JOIN TWITTER!

Vlogging


Today's t-shirt is from Look Human :D Don't forget to comment below with the first lines you want read out :D KEEP IT CLEAN! I hereby reserve the right to pick and choose what I read aloud :P

Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram etc...

Some people make great use of Tumblr as a blogging platform, but I like to use it as a place to unleash my fangirl... oh, and a place to curate loads of inspiration. Photos can be the best way to get inspired. I like Tumblr for that. I haven't dared make use of Pinterest or Instagram for fear of falling into an Internet hole and never getting back out.

So, what's your favourite social media platform?

Comments

  1. You should definitely do another vlog sometime! I'm not sure I 'd ever be brave enough to do a vlog, but you're very expressive and I really enjoyed that! Myself, I pretty much stick to blogging and a teeny bit of Twitter for social media. I find I really have to try and keep it in check because it gets overwhelming and eats up a lot of time if I'm not careful (sometimes even when I am careful). As for first lines, I wish I could think of something off the top of my head, but my brain has ceased working because it's so late here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Social media definitely has a way of taking over. It's definitely important to keep it all under control.

      Delete
  2. I mostly blog and do a bit of Twitter, and, like you, I tend to use Tumblr as a means to fangirl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Tumblr exists for the fangirls ;)

      Delete
  3. I mostly use Twitter, although I'm pretty active on my blog. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends from school/university, rather than writing-related things, and I'm still getting my head round using Tumblr. It can be a real time-suck!

    I've yet to get the courage to make a vlog, but I'd like to at some point! Maybe if/when I get an agent! Though that would probably involve me making a hysterical idiot of myself, heh. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't put Facebook on here as I don't use it for writing... I don't really use it that much at all if I can help it, but it does still have its uses.

      You should! It was a bit harder than I thought and took A LOT of time, but it was a lot of fun :D

      Delete
  4. I have to say that lately Instagram is my favourite with Twitter as a close second. The former I love because it's a fun glimpse at writer friends' lives, whether that's what they're reading, how they're spending their weekend, or pics of their cute kidlets. And Twitter is just a great way to connect, find out about things writing- and not writing-related, and to get into fun conversations with friends.

    I think you should totally vlog again! I enjoyed this fun first vlog. (I said "first" because you're going to do it again, right? Right?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I love Twitter, too. So much fun and so handy.

      LOL! Okay, I'll do it again asap ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the vlog! :D

    I'm only on Twitter at the moment. :) I like it because you have to be concise and because it's easy to share what other people are saying. :) (And, possibly most importantly, because you don't have to follow people back like you do with something like Facebook.) And then, yes, Tumblr for fangirlin'. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll have to make a vlog of THAT dramatic reading ;) ;) ;)

      Yes, the conciseness of Twitter is what makes it so much easier to follow. And it is nice not having to follow everyone. Far more manageable.

      Tumblr is my fangirl home, even if I am incredibly lazy at reblogging :P

      Delete
  6. You're even more fun and friendly when we get to see you in video! Nicely done and so approachable.

    I agree about twitter. Love me some twitter. I need to go blow the cobwebs off my own blog here in a minute, but blogs are great too. Tumblr never stuck with me, but probably because I'd fall down that aforementioned hole. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ^_^

      Yes, Tumblr does have a way to consuming you. It's tricky to strike the right balance.

      Delete
  7. You know how some people have a telephone voice? You have a vlogging voice. It's good!

    Also, I would like you to read the first line of the Crow Road, by the wonderful (and tragically late) Iain Banks. It's pretty famous, you can Google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^_^ I made sure I pronounced stuff clearly ;)

      I shall! Hopefully I'll find time to vlog again soon. It takes a surprising amount of time to get it all together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts