The Writing Lifestyle - Music

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but music is one of the greatest ways to get inspired.  Listening to music isn't a passive experience; great music will take you on a journey.  This post is going to be more about using music, rather than sharing any particular piece.

Most of the music I use to write with comes from soundtracks.  I collect them because I know they're a great way to connect to emotions.  Sometimes I'll just listen to the soundtrack itself as I write, especially when I'm in first draft mode and pantsing my way along.  Other times, when I know there's a particular scene with a clear emotional level I need to reach, I'll create a playlist with a blend of music that's just right.

This is the tip of Cole's Soundtrack Iceburg...

The main thing I listen for with music I want to write with is its ability to carry my imagination off, whether I want it to go or not :P When I build playlists for particular ideas, or just playlists I know I can daydream to, I try and keep the music flowing well, so one piece leads seamlessly into another to keep the mood going.  Let's say I'm writing a really fast paced action scene in which something really terrible is going to happen to one of my characters.  I might start with something upbeat, to signify the characters totally think they've got this, that they can't be beaten:


But then...


:O Tragedy strikes!


I love combining soundtracks to suit my stories or my daydreaming... and I have got a lot of playlists.  I tend to use songs with lyrics as character themes. Ed from Colony has one of my favourite David Bowie songs as her theme tune ;)

Music is a huge part of my writing life.  It's the reason I started playing the violin, too.  I love music, so why not make some myself? One day, maybe I'll write soundtracks to my own books!

How does music inform your way of writing? 

Comments

  1. Synchronous post timing! I ended up looping the Fullmetal Alchemist Opening 4, "Chemistry", last night with the plan of just daydreaming about a more upbeat WIP it might fit... I wound up untangled a plot issue with my current WIP.

    Music is just ridiculously inspiring. So many ideas seem to hit me out of nowhere while listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D That's great news.

      The power of music strikes again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts