YALC 2014

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending YALC - the UK's first (but hopefully not only!) Young Adult Lit Con.  It was *amazing*! I spent the day with the delightful Emma Adams, and also met Laura Crampton and Sophie Reid. Meeting other writers and bloggers was a real inspiration. Talk about being with your people!

The whole event was so exciting and really well put together.  The atmosphere was buzzing with excitement and enthusiasm. 

Pictured: A WHOLE LOTTA PEOPLE

 I had a lot of fun at the freebie table. Alas, I didn't get in early enough for the ARCs, but I am *loving* all the preview booklets.

Oooh, pretty!

:D Stuff! Lots of BOOK STUFF!

 And LOOK AT THE BOOK DISPLAY!

Much books. Such words. Wow.

I came home with a lot of books :D



I only made it to two panels, but they were well worth the time, with loads of really interesting points for both readers and writers.  I feel so inspired now, I am considering editing Violin!Story into something worth sharing...

Bring Me My Dragons Panel

Heroes of Horror Panel

I had the honour of speaking with Malorie Blackman, who did indeed sign my nineteen-year-old book. She was so warm and friendly, and I am so grateful to her for being the driving force behind YALC.  I also met Charlie Higson and gushed about my love of Double or Die, my favourite Young Bond novel. 


Emma and I did venture around the whole convention, as YALC was part of the London Film and Comic Con. Being a geek, I didn't leave without a few other fangirly favourites...

YAY! :D

The Overlook doubles as a bookish t-shirt :D

All in all, it was an amazing event and I so hope they repeat it, because I will definitely get my act together and plan for a whole weekend trip next time.


Anybody else spend a great day/weekend at YALC?

Comments

  1. Soooo much fun! :D And your photos are awesome, too! I'm seriously considering going for the whole weekend next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      I'm definitely making a weekend of it next time. Looks like there's loads going on today, too :D

      Delete
  2. So jealous! I would have loved to have gone, but alas I'm still a poor student and London's pretty far away when you live in the North West. D: I'm so envious that you got to meet Malorie Blackman; Noughts & Crosses has the honour of being the first book that made me cry.

    It sounds like you had a great day, though! :D Hopefully I'll be able to go next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had her book Deadly Dare signed. I've had it since 1995! I remember being obsessed with it as a child. Meeting her and having it signed was amazing. She's a lovely person.

      Cheers, I hope so!

      Delete
  3. That looks awesome! I would love to go to a book event like this. I especially like the Egmont book bag with Choose Books on it. Awesome! I'm glad you had a great time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great bag :D Can't wait to use it EVERYWHERE!

      Delete
  4. It was so wonderful to meet you too! What a wonderful day - and I love your account and pictures, really sums it up very well :D Fingers crossed there'll be another soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely meeting you, too! Next time, we'll have to hang out more ^_^

      I really hope they do it again. It was such a big success, they'd be mad not to!

      Delete
  5. That is quite the huge book haul! It's great that the conference is inspiring you to perhaps polish up Violin!Story. I say go for it! I adore that Toothless figurine, especially since I just ordered a Toothless t-shirt off teefury yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, but then I saw pictures on Twitter of other people's book hauls and mine suddenly seemed tame ;)

      There were loads of Teefury t-shirts on display at YALC. I have yet to buy one myself...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts