What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is the fantastic bloghop created by Jaime and Erin. Stop by their blogs and join in!

What I'm Reading

Finished Persuader and it's definitely one of my favourite Jack Reacher books. I really like it when they're told from his perspective.

Next, I read one of my YALC purchases, The Memory Keepers and this is another dystopia I've got to recommend. It had an interesting concept regarding recording and rewatching memories, and I loved the London setting.  It's not actually out yet, but you should definitely get your hands on it if you get the chance.

Then I read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.  It took a couple of chapters to get into, but I definitely enjoyed it, more than Sharp Objects.  Probably not quite as much as Gone Girl, though.

Alas, I DNF'd The Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch. It's YA Fantasy I picked up at YALC, but I couldn't get into it. I feel so bad, because Amy was so awesome on the panel, but there was too much backstory in this for my personal preference. I like stuff to move forward from the start.

Due to the DNF, I'm now re-reading a favourite. DNFs always make me hesitant to pick up something new straight away, so I'm dipping into the Alex Rider series with my favourite book, Point Blanc. 

What I'm Writing

Blog posts, and that's about it. That desire to rewrite Resistance isn't going anywhere, and I keep mulling over various options. I did put pen to paper yesterday and scribble the start of it, whoops!
So much for taking the summer off. When I say rewrite, I mean surgically removing the characters, putting them to one side and then demolishing just about everything else...

What Else I'm Up To

...Work ^^; But I have two days off next week, and a spa day booked with friends, so that's keeping me going ;)

What Inspires Me

I've been working so much lately, my poor violin has been rather neglected. So sorry, Hans! But I'm still listening to string music, and I found some fiddle music I absolutely love playing, courtesy of the Bioshock Infinite soundtrack. It's so upbeat and jolly! A great midweek motivator ;)


Have a great week, everyone!

Comments

  1. I still haven't read any Gillian Flynn, and considering what I've heard about it I really need to read Gone Girl!

    Haha, I suppose when the mood to rewrite hits, it hits. :D Good luck with it, and enjoy your spa day!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you must. Her books are very dark but sooooo good.

      It's definitely hit, but the timing's a bit rubbish. Oh well!

      Cheers, and you.

      Delete
  2. A lot of good book suggestions this week. I'll have to add those to my TBR list. surgical rewrites are the best kind of rewrites. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't started THE MEMORY KEEPERS yet (though I also bought a copy at YALC), but the concept looks really cool!

    I always find I get inspired when I'm busy! Hope you enjoy your days off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! It's so nice to read a dystopia set in London :D

      Thanks! I'm sooooo excited for them.

      Delete
  4. THE MEMORY KEEPERS sounds really good! I'll have to add that one to my TBR mountain. ;-) Lately, I feel like all I'm writing is blog posts too. Sigh. I really do need to dig in and get some writing/revising done soon. That's awesome that you wrote a little bit yesterday! Hard to fight inspiration when it hits, hey? Hope you're having a wonderful week, Cole! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! I didn't even realise it wasn't out yet until I did a search for it. Well worth picking up.

      I'm quite enjoying my summer of blogging, but that novel is poking me relentlessly :P

      Thanks, Jaime! Have a great one yourself.

      Delete
  5. I love the premise behind The Memory Keepers. I'll have to add it to the pile.

    Writing/Rewriting by accident...love it! Sometime the best stuff happens when you were supposed to be leaving it alone.

    Hope you have an amazing week! Enjoy the spa date. It sounds lov-er-ly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great premise and I highly recommend it :D

      This book seems determined to be written.

      Thanks! I am very excited about the spa day.

      Delete
  6. It's awful to have to set down a book one would wishes to love. But it happens. The sushi w/ writing is the best start to a story I've seen yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad because the author is just lovely. Oh well!

      Hah, thanks! That sushi was delicious ^_^

      Delete
  7. I loved that you named your violin Hans! And a spa day sounds fun- enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ He's German, so I couldn't resist.

      Delete
  8. YUM! Sushi, Diet Coke in the bottle, and writing! YESSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is PERSUADER the one where Reacher has the special compartment in his shoe? I remember all these random cool details from the series, but I can never remember which book they came from.

    Have a great week and enjoy your spa day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the one!

      Cheers, I will :D

      Delete
  10. Damn, you are on fire with reading!

    No matter how much I try sushi... me and the raw fish are still not getting along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a good reading week ^_^

      That's a shame, it's my favourite food.

      Delete
  11. Wow, sounds like a busy week! I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to read that many books in one week, I'd probably burn out about halfway... Good on you, that's pretty inspiring to someone like me who didn't even get through one book this week >.<

    Mmm, that sushi looks really good! Sorry to hear about your neglected violin, but I'm sure you'll have more time for him next week when you have more time off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have weeks like that with books. I just speed through them... but then I do burn out.

      It was amazing sushi, and I will get back to my violin soon ^_^

      Delete
  12. Mmm, sushi...I can't eat it right now, but am looking forward to having it again come fall. Your picture is so tempting, though!

    Good luck with either resisting the rewrite, or diving into destruction mode! Also, I'm totally digging this music, =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sushi is my favourite food. Sooo delicious!

      Thanks! Glad you love the music. It's so upbeat (haha, unlike the game :P)

      Delete
  13. Oh man. My speaker system is packed up after moving and my son broke my headphones. I'm coming back to listen to that song...I hope. You know, I LOVE the soundtracks for the Castlevania series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep it here! It's a wonderful piece of music :D ...Well, two pieces, really :P

      Delete
  14. Sushi is brain food! You will get that rewrite banged out in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have added The Memory Keepers to my TBR! Looks like a good one. I love that you accidentally started scribbling out your re-write. :) I love it when a story takes hold of you brain and won't let go! Have a great couple of days off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!

      Yeah, rewrite is definitely trying to take over whether I like it or not :P

      Thanks, I'm looking forward to them!

      Delete
  16. Ooh, that sushi is making me hungry! Hopefully it stirs up some creative musings ;) Enjoy your well-earned spa day, have a wonderful week Miss Cole!

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the books! You keep my TBR pile stocked lady! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. For someone who has been working a lot lately, you managed to read quite a few books. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, while I'm making the children meals or when they're playing and don't need my input, I have time to read :) It keeps me sane during my long days.

      Delete
  19. I just read the first Alex Rider, and really enjoyed it. I will try Point Blanc. Those revisions sound daunting, I can understand why you haven't dived in yet. Perhaps once you do it won't be as hard as you expect. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series. I hope you like them all :)

      I don't think I'll be able to hold out much longer!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts