The Writing Lifestyle: Just How Big Is That TBR Pile?

Being a writer means being a voracious reader, too.  Walking out of a bookshop without a new book is nigh on impossible, and no amount of bookshelves will ever be enough.  Buying books makes me really happy, and it's a great way to combat rejection or maintaining patience during querying.  Reading also keeps you up to date with publishing trends and, best of all, constantly encourages you to write the best book you're capable of.


I've always had a TBR pile, but I used to only buy a book at a time, figuring I'd always go back to the shop when I needed another one... Then I figured, why leave them in the shop when they can just wait for me at home?


My TBR pile is pretty varied, with YA, Adult and Non-Fiction titles.  Generally speaking, I rage from science-fiction and fantasy to thrillers and crime novels.  That's most of my TBR pile in my library cart in my office, but I have my next reads lined up by my bed... Although I've kind been putting them off in favour of others.  See, I can't even plan my reading.

And, thanks to my Kindle, my TBR pile is also digital! Honestly, it's just too easy to buy loads of books. I tend to use my Kindle for series that are huge (hello, Jack Reacher!), or books I can't find easily in the UK.

I doubt I will ever conquer my TBR pile.  Too many books, too little time.  But it sure looks pretty!

Comments

  1. My TBR-pile got SO MUCH bigger once I got an eReader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! I have zero self respect.

      Delete
  2. For years, I kept my TBR list in my head, but now that I've got it on my phone, it's HUGE!!! You should check out Book Nerd Problems' "Buying Too Many Books" on YouTube. It'll make you laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  3. So many books. My physical TBR pile is currently scattered through multiple totes with the rest of my books. I also have a digital pile on my Kobo, mostly free classics. And then there's my TBR list which I'm pretty sure topped 500 but am afraid to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Okay. Mine suddenly seems really self controlled ^^;

      Delete
  4. I happily gaze on my TBR's all the time. It's a mini-bookstore waiting to be explored. And buying books gives me so much happy. I usually buy them as rewards for some kind of writing milestone (finishing a draft, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I buy books for milestones and a rejection coping method ;)

      Delete
  5. My TBR pile is huge. I have tons of books on my shelf I haven't read just yet and am constantly adding new ones. That doesn't even count my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need, like, a year sabbatical from work *just* so I can get through my TBR pile...

      Delete
  6. My TBR pile is huge! Like you said, why wait and buy just one book at a time when you could have them waiting at home? I've been buying lots of books lately, my excuse being "Well...I know I'm going to read them eventually...might as well just buy it while I'm here!" :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts