The Writing Lifestyle - Coffeeshop Cliche

Pavilion Tea Company
I know. This one's a real cliche. I'm a writer and I like to sit in coffee shops and write.  Could I be anymore pretentious?

But, as always, there's a good explanation for the cliche.  Sometimes it's really nice to get away from your desk, change your scenery and your background noise, have someone else make the drinks and get back to work.

My hometown, Brighton, has a lot of coffee shop options.  I can go to a huge chain, a Brighton-only chain or an independent coffee shop.

Small Batch Coffee Company
...Not that I drink coffee in any of them.  Sometimes it's tea, other times it's hot chocolate.  I have two "locals", where I don't have to open my mouth; they know what I'm going to ask for :P One of these days I'll throw them a curve ball and ask for a latte...

For me, the essentials (beyond good drinks :P) are a good atmosphere and tables big enough to write at.  I tend to go in during the shop's quieter morning hours, so I don't take up a table when it's busy. If I'm really in the zone, I'll be sure to buy multiple drinks.

As much as I love my writing space, sometimes I need to get out. The simple act of moving and being somewhere else can work wonders for the imagination. If you've got some spare cash, head over to your favourite purveyor of beverages. Personally, I have a coffee shop budget planned into my monthly spending.  Going out and about to write after a long week at work is a nice little luxury.

Costa

Do you have a favourite coffee shop or cafe to write in? Any independent chains in your area you want to send us all to? (If you're ever in Brighton, you have to go to Small Batch ;))

Comments

  1. Ah, I miss Small Batch. :D I hope to find a decent coffeeshop in my area sometime, the local range seems to be sorely lacking in decent hot drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you could set it up yourself... ;)

      Delete
  2. I have been in Small Batch a couple of times and I always feel 10 years too old and about as cool as athlete's foot. The place is so hip it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurts the ol' arthritic hip, hey, bro? :D

      Delete
    2. I remember when coffee shops were nowt but fields.

      Delete
    3. Aye, lad, I'm sure you do ;)

      Delete
  3. I usually write in a coffee shop if I know I'm meeting someone there. I quite like it. It's nice just sitting and writing. Costa's my go-to shop. Their hot chocolate is amaaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costa do a very nice hot chocolate, and I cannot recommend their Belgian Hot Chocolate enough. Very rich, but very nice :D

      Delete
  4. We don't have a coffee shop in my little town (not even a Starbucks!). I wish we did, but there are alternatives. Do you ever have someone approach you to ask what you're writing? Being out in the general populace is a good way to attract readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, libraries are great, too :) Take a drink from home!

      I haven't had anyone come up to me, but whenever I see other people writing in coffee shops, I feel like we should nod, like "yes, I, too, seek publication" ;)

      Delete
  5. At uni, I like to sit in Starbucks a lot, especially between classes. I try to limit my intake to one drink a week, though. At home the nearest coffee shop (including Starbucks) is about a half hour away so it's not really an option. It might be cliche but I really do tend to get a lot of work done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! There's something about being out of my usual work space and in a coffee shop that makes me sit my butt down and *work*.

      Delete
  6. You're so lucky. Brighton has some really nice coffee shops. Where I live, you can't be in a coffee shop for more than five minutes without someone spilling their hot drink on you.

    I like writing at the restaurant in my university sometimes and the Starbucks is okay during the quieter times. But I like to write when it's quiet so usually, it's my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're pretty lucky here in Brighton to have so much variety ^_^

      Yeah, Starbucks when it's quiet is best. If it's too rowdy, I don't feel comfortable enough to write.

      Delete
  7. Haha, this is totally me too! I love writing in my local coffee shops, but I always go with tea or some non-coffee drink. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my local shops called me out on it ^^; I'm like "Hey, stop complaining. I'm still giving you money, right?"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts