No, I Won't Write Every Day!

I used to think writing daily was essential. Like, if I stopped for even a single day, the idea would run away forever.

But then one day life got in the way and I stopped writing daily.

She's... she's lost it...

And guess what? The story didn't run away from me.

When you're really connecting with an idea, the need to write can completely take over and you'll find yourself writing daily no matter what. But not every idea is like that, and you shouldn't feel awful if you aren't writing every day.  Sometimes it's just not possible. Life has a habit of getting in the way and wearing you down, making the thought of sitting down and writing too exhausting to contemplate.

There are times when, despite all your good intentions, writing daily just isn't going to work.  And, like everything in writing, it just might not work for you at all.  Remember, my way, or another writer's way, doesn't and shouldn't be your way.  We're all unique.  Do what works for you.

Comments

  1. I think the advice to "write every day" is usually given to encourage writers to keep working on their craft. There's much to be said for writing daily, even if it's just a few lines. It "keeps your head in the game" as they say, reminding you why you enjoy writing. Also, you don't improve at something if you stop doing it. And the more you write, the more you stir the creative juices which leads to ideas.

    That said, like most other "writing rules," this should not be taken as do-or-die. It's advice that's good to follow. But there are plenty of great writers (published ones, even), who don't write every day. Not that they don't want to, but they have lives too. They might be on a book tour, or meeting with agents, or doing a number of life things that keep them from their WIP. And that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely good when you're starting out, but when you're used to it, knowing you can take a break without losing track of the idea is a good thing to know.

      Yup, it's always about finding the things that work for you.

      Delete
  2. Good advice! I go back and forth on this one too. I stopped worrying because I realize I do "work" on writing each day, whether it's brainstorming, daydreaming or just mulling ideas, even if I'm not typing actual words. When I set word counts, I give myself the buffer of missing a few days here and there, because...life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Life doesn't always let you write when you want to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts