Why Writers Should Invest in Twitter

Whenever I log into Twitter, I feel like I've stepped into a really big hall full of people and there's this great hum of conversation in the air. I can go between people, join a conversation here, learn something really interesting over there, then find a little corner for myself and share a bit of my writing life with you all.

A Dramatic Gif Representation of Cole Tweeting

There's a wonderful sense of community among writers on Twitter.  Everybody supports each other.  And then there are Twitter Pitch events. These are amazing opportunities for us to tempt agents in with very brief summaries of our novels.  You have the chance to see loads of amazing talent and support your fellow writers by retweeting their amazing pitches. If you're already on Twitter, you'll know about things like #PitMad and Wednesday's #SFFpit. Did any of you guys get a request? :D

And, of course, it's a great way to find agents and agencies and learn a little more about them. Plus there's the amazing hashtag #MSWL (or Manuscript Wishlist) in which agents will tweet some of the books they really want. How brilliant is that?!

So while I'm not suggesting you have to join Twitter and become an addict, I will say it's a really handy tool for reaching out to other writers, agents, editors, and publishers.

You can find me here, where I tweet things that will actually CHANGE YOUR LIFE...
And I regretted nothing. Bye! I have to go tweet about this blog post...

Comments

  1. Very accurate analogy. #SFFpit was my first full-day Twitter pitch party, and it was intense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very intense! Thank goodness for Tweetdeck :D

      Delete
  2. One of these days I'll reach the tipping point and realize I need to be on twitter. Deciding to follow you was a good start. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely of you to say. Thank you. I am actually blushing!

      Delete
  3. Wasn't #SFFPit great?! So many fantastic pitches. I've managed business Twitter accounts for years, but it took me a loooooong time to finally dive in personally. I have to admit I like it. ;) I liken it to being on a college campus, where you pass tons of people you know, nod and smile, say a quick "Hey, how's it going" (which is code for, "Hey, great to see you. I really care about you and you're an awesome person, but I don't have time for a whole conversation right now, but super-glad to run into you and say hi.").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to look at it, too :D

      #SFFpit was amazing. I love those kinds of events. There's so much talent out there, and I want all their books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts