What's Up Wednesday - Star Trek: 2014 Fangirl Edition!

Wednesday comes again. Stop by Jaime and Erin's blogs to join in What's Up Wednesday :D

What I'm Reading

Still Rivers of London. I've been very distracted.

What I'm Writing

Violin!Story is up to 34k :D I didn't take my laptop to London, so I was writing when I had the time in my little notebook... Not sure I'll pull off another 27k between now and next week, but we'll see ;)

What Else I'm Up To

STAR TREK.  My in-depth review of Star Trek In Concert, with photos, is here, but suffice to say I had the most wonderful music experience of my entire life.  Wow.  I had chills both nights.  There is something so powerful about experiencing a film that way.  I loved it when the audience all cheered, because how could you not when an orchestra performs music as epic as Michael Giacchino's live? They must've been exhausted! And, ohmigosh, all those moments from both films.  You know, THAT BIT at the start of Star Trek and then THE BIT in the second one with you know who and then THAT OTHER BIT near the end... O_O I still get emotional just remembering the experience.  Oh and JJ ABRAMS SHOWED UP.


It's hard to pick a highlight, but hearing Ode to Harrison live is definitely up there.  I love how menacing that piece is.  It starts so quietly and just builds and builds. And then there's Enterprising Young Men. That was amaaaaaazing!!!!

FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS!

And the Royal Albert Hall itself is an amazing building.  Michael Giacchino kept saying how lucky we are to have it in our "back yard". He's not wrong. Seeing Star Trek and Into Darkness there was better than seeing it on IMAX. You can't beat a live orchestra.

Please, please, please get tickets if the opportunity comes your way. You won't regret it. If I ever get another chance, I'll be there.

What Inspires Me

Seeing professional violinists on stage was awe-inspiring.  Sure, I can play, but I can't perform.  I have been SO fired up.

And if you've seen Into Darkness, remember the scene when they're going from one ship to the other through the debris? Yeah, now imagine hearing this piece of music live. I don't care how many times I've seen it, I was on the edge of my seat.  Seriously! Everyone started applauding and I was like "Huh, I am really leaning forward!"


IT WAS SO EPIC! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

...


;) Have a wonderful week!

Comments

  1. Wow, I can totally see why you'd find that inspiring! What an incredible way to experience the movies and the soundtracks! They should do the same for Tron: Legacy, Oblivion, and Ender's Game since all have incredible soundtracks. I think I'd die of bliss if I ever got to see and hear that.

    And 34k? You are just sprinting through this draft! Hope the inspiration keeps up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd love to hear Tron:Legacy and How to Train Your Dragon live. Failing that, I'd settle for another go at Star Trek ;)

      Thanks! So far, so inspired :D

      Delete
  2. *spends the rest of the morning listening to the Star Trek OST*

    IT'S SO GOOOOOOD

    I'm so happy Violin!Story is going well. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooooooooooooooow! There's this sweeping section in the end credits (starts around the 2:50 mark) that I just sat there with my eyes closed because it is too beautiful and just has to be savoured.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh I was going to go to the Star Trek concert, it heard it was amazing! Kicking myself for not grabbing tickets earlier! Sounds like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I booked the tickets almost a year in advance and ooooh, it was so worth the wait ^_^ I'm going again if I ever can.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous experience! Listening to a soundtrack live must be incredible! And you're doing really well with your draft! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible is the word :D

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like an incredibly inspiring week. What a great opportunity for you! Funny story--I was listening to my daughter's classical music spotify while waiting for my son to finish his homework, and it was so nice and relaxing, and then suddenly Johnny Depp shouted "Get on your feet!" and I leaped out of my chair, my heart pounding right out of my chest...a Pirates of the Caribbean song had come on! My son thought I was insane. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pirates of the Caribbean has a great soundtrack ^_^

      Delete
  6. When you mentioned this before, I didn't realize that it was a showing of the movies with live music. That sounds fantastic! What a great experience. :-) And can I say, I'm so impressed with the way you decided to learn violin, picked it up, and actually did exactly what you set out to do? That's just really inspiring, Cole. I need to pick mine up again and give it a go. It's been far too long. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! :D It was kind of weird because I heard SFX in the films that I'd never noticed before. It's a fun way of seeing a film.

      *blushes* Thanks, Jaime! You should pick yours up again. It's such a beautiful instrument.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear your WIP's going well and that you had a great time at the Star Trek concert - there's something about live orchestras that really gets the blood pumping, isn't there?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was so intense I was completely elated both nights ^_^

      Delete
  8. That sounds like an awesome time! I wasn't big into the show but I did love the movies. Into Darkness was amazing. Glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of the TV shows and the films, but these soundtracks are two of my all time favourites ^_^

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of Star Trek In Concert, but I'm also not a Trekkie, but I can appreciate how amazing it would have been as a fan. So happy for you and that the experience ended up being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soundtracks are well worth listening to for any writer who needs to capture emotions. Giacchino is so talented.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on 34K. Keep pushing you can do it. Also the Star Trek concert sounds EPIC. I wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a good time. Lol. I love it when something like that lives up to our expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an amazing time, thank you ^_^

      Delete
  12. So glad it was as amazing as you hoped! I'm totally jealous ;)
    And great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool! Glad to see you had a great time! :D Even if I still leave being a true Trekkie to my family members, I will definitely check out this soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D They're both such amazing scores.

      Delete
  14. Nothing compares to the sound of a live orchestra. Even the best CD with the best speakers--nothing like it. I can only imagine how particularly awesome it is in the Royal Albert Hall. I've watched the Doctor Who Proms--being there, though... mmm... that's a dream for when I'm a best-selling novelist and can afford to take the family. :)

    Have a wonderful week, Cole! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the dream, Colin ;)

      Delete
  15. Mannn I'm so jealous, that sounds like an incredible experience, Miss Cole, even just for the atmosphere! :) :) So glad you had a wonderful time, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally epic week! Dang, girl! That concert sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, Star Trek live sounds absolutely amazing! Now I have to go back and watch those movies and really pay closer attention to the music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must, for the films are wondrous and the scores are perfection :D

      Delete
  18. That experience sounds like it was amazing! There are some movies I'd definitely want to see that way. And now I need to go listen to the Star Trek scores...

    Awesome job on your draft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must :D They're amazing.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  19. I bet in no time you could perform if you wanted to. Since you started learning, you sound like you've flown in learning guitar! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violin ;) I *suck* at guitar. Seriously. Chords blow my mind ^^;

      Delete
  20. That sounds like SUCH an amazing experience. Wow. Just. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that was pretty much my feeling ;)

      Delete
  21. Love the music from that movie! Hearing it live must have been ah-maz-ing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts