The Writing Lifestyle: The Writing Space

Being a writer dictates a lot of how I live my life. It determines how I spend my time, how I spend my money and, ultimately, who I want to be. I own more notebooks than is truly necessary (note to self: IMPOSSIBLE!), this blog is dedicated to the craft, and I'm a member of wider and supportive community of writers, both published and unagented.  Hi, everyone! :D

So, that said, I thought I'd start a new blog series.


Today, I'm looking at writing spaces, because these are an essential thing to have, even if it’s just a chair with your bum in it. You might only have a tiny corner to perch in, but you can do something to make it yours. My main writing space is an extension of myself. In fact, you could call it the physical representation of my mental state ;) It's a wee bit cluttered, but I'll never be a minimalist. I don't like a mess, but I can't stand emptiness.

The Desk
Current Set Up: First Draft Mode


Backstory: I bought the desk with my paper-round money so I could use it to study for my GCSEs.  Translation for non-UK readers: I've had it since I was 16 ;) Over the years, it's been a good companion.  The top is stained, chipped and scratched, but it serves me well.

You can probably see my fangirlish self has a good home here ;)

My old laptop sits ready for the editing phase.  Even though it takes a good thirty minutes to warm up, it's handy to put my beta readers' notes on another screen while I edit on my main laptop.

The iPod dock has fantastic sound quality, perfect for a good soundtrack to take me into the world I'm writing. Sometimes, laptop speakers or headphones aren't enough to really appreciate the wonder of good music.

Notekeeping
When Notebooks Just Aren't Immediate Enough


Sometimes you need to see an important note the moment you look away from the screen.  Whiteboards are perfect for this.  You don't even have to keep them attached to the wall.  You can get handy A4 sized ones.

This is the smaller whiteboard I have above my desk.  It still has notes for Colony. I do have a second whiteboard, but it's full of notes for a first draft, so I can't share it.

To the left of it is my real life Pinterest account ;) There are post it notes with random ideas, newspaper articles I found inspiring, photos of friends, fangirl bits and bobs, and drawings from children I've taken care of over the years.

The Writing/Library Trolley
(Thanks, Jaime!)


This amazing IKEA purchase saved me from buying a bigger desk. I LOVE IT <3 It contains notebooks, the day job planner, pens, CDs, candles... Oh, and my TBR pile :D
 
Decoration
(Fangirl Present and Accounted For)

 
Well, it is my desk after all...

How does being a writer impact your lifestyle and your home? And how does your writing space work? I'd love to see some of yours!

Comments

  1. I love this idea for a series! I have a similar desk, though it's falling apart a bit (I've had it since I was 10, but only started using it as a writing desk in the last few years). It's covered in notebooks and calendars!

    Having your beta notes open on another laptop is a great plan - I don't know why I've never thought of doing that with my netbook before!

    I need to invest in some whiteboards. I have far too many post-it notes lying around. :P

    That mini Toothless is sooo cute! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D

      Yeah, my desk isn't the most stable, but it's doing great for a cheap Argos piece of furniture :P

      It's just so much easier to have it separate rather than flicking between files. And yes, whiteboards are AMAZING :D

      <3 I love my itty bitty Toothless.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a desk. My room is too small and too cluttered for one. When I was in school I did have a desk all four years, but I never utilized it for writing. They were always piled high with books and papers, no space for writing. Now that I'm back home with my parents, I sit at the kitchen or dining room table. It's the closest thing to a writing space I have.
    I'm glad you have a writing space that works for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a desk in college, too. It was a sturdy thing and I kinda miss it.

      As long as you've got room for writing, you've got a space :)

      Delete
  3. I understand what you mean about having more than one screen for editing. Ideally, I'd like to have two monitors attached to my laptop. I already attach a full-sized keyboard and a mouse to my laptop, largely because I use a full-sized keyboard at work so it's what I'm used to, and I HATE touchpads! If I had the room on my desk, I would plug my laptop into a docking station and use it just as a CPU with monitors, keyboard, and mouse attached. I don't often have cause to use my laptop elsewhere, so this would work great for me.

    I saw a documentary about Terry Pratchett, and he has a whole bank of monitors above his desk. I think he uses a couple of them for writing, and there's one for email, and others for who-knows-what!

    BTW, I posted my Five Facts article today if you want to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that Terry Pratchett documentary! His bank of screens is amazing and totally the dream.

      Yeah, if I had the room I'd definitely get an external monitor and keyboard, but there just isn't space.

      I did check it out, thanks :D

      Delete
  4. I am seriously in love with the IKEA cart. Like you say, it definitely extends you desk space. I ♥ mine so much! It's really cool to see other writers' workspaces. Thanks for sharing yours! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's just so darn cute ^_^

      Thanks for looking! I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  5. I love your trolley!! I'd NEVER have to be more than an arm's length from books, notebooks and post-its. Haha! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so handy! I can't recommend it enough :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts