The Writing Process

The gentlemanly Colin D Smith invited me to take part in the My Writing Process Bloghop.  Today, I'm going to share the ins and outs of how I write... 

 

What Am I Working On?


Dream!Story, which is an odd amalgamation of an idea I tried writing 2 years ago and my own fascination with writing bizarre dreams :D

How Does My Work Differ From Others Of Its Genre?


This particular story focuses on family relationships.  Don't know about you guys, but disagreements with my parents were a fairly memorable part of my teens. Chuck in a fun sci-fi dream theme and it should be an interesting story...

Overall, my lack of romantic relationships is the thing that separates me from other YA writers.  I really enjoy exploring friendships in my stories because I feel there's a real lack of good female friendships in YA.

Why Do I Write What I Do? 


Science Fiction has been a defining part of my life.  I grew up with it, it's formed the basis of many friendships, and I relate to it more than anything else.  I love exploring our potential futures and examining our world from a different point of view.

As for YA, well, it just feels natural.  I've always written, especially when I was a teenager, so it's the area I know best.  Working with children makes me lean towards this end of the publishing market, too.  It brings the various areas of my life together quite nicely.
    

How Does Your Writing Process Work?


Get that first draft done and dusted.  Type it on a laptop, type it into my phone, scribble words into a notebook - basically, get it out.  I worry about research and plotting and structure and all that in the second draft based on notes I make as I crank out that first rough draft.

I don't plan, I can't plan because it drives me insane. Just the thought of plotting a book out before I write it irritates me.  I live for the adventure of discovering my story as I go.  Not saying it always works out, and it definitely makes editing a more intense process, but if I plan in advance, I guarantee you I won't write the book because I'll feel like I wrote it already.

Music is an essential part of my process.  Whether it be daydreaming ideas or getting to grips with the emotion of a scene, there's always a piece of music to really help me engage with what I'm working on.  

I also love using Rainy Mood. So relaxing.

So, there we go. That's my writing process. It's probably way more chilled out than a lot of other people's, but it works for me :)

Coming up next week, you'll have a post from the lovely Emma Maree, writer and beta reader extraordinaire.  She's from Scotland, loves tea and is an all round awesome human being of the writerly persuasion ^_^

Comments

  1. A story about dreams sounds exciting! Especially with a sci-fi twist. I'm a plotter, but I do sometimes wonder what it'd be like to just write a discovery draft. All of my drafts involve pantsing to some degree when the characters decide not to cooperate with my outline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it. It's so much fun. Do away with that outline and go for it :D

      Delete
  2. I understand that romance is an important part of life for many teens--but not all. So I, too, appreciate YA novels that don't focus on the smooching so much and get on with the story. And with some novels, I wonder how the characters have time for all that kissing with the world falling apart around them! :) As you say, friendships are an important part of teen life too, and opposite sex friendships don't have to have romantic overtones. I had plenty of female friends in school that I didn't have any romantic inclinations toward.

    Thanks for sharing your process, Cole. I'm with you on the whole "get-the-draft-written" philosophy. As I said last week on my post, too much planning and plotting just serves my desire to procrastinate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have read books when it's like "Hey. HEY! Stop kissing and DO SOMETHING LIKE RUN AWAY BEFORE YOU DIE!!!!" Time for more friendships methinks ^_^

      Delete
  3. *look of utter panic at the thought of needing to tidy her desk for a picture*

    Lovely post, Miss Cole! I'm looking forward to writing mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I had to tidy mine, too! XD SHHHHHHHHHH! IT'S A SECRET! ;)

      Thank you kindly ^_^ Looking forward to yours!

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way about detailed outlines as you do--the story's already written! Also, I discover so many things about my characters, the story, their world, as I go. Although, I have to have some kind of road map--a very general one--or else I feel all flustered. I also think of future scenes as I write, and jot down those ideas to tackle. So, I'm definitely a blend.
    I think your process is great! Although, I do think it's funny that your process is so laid back, because you are so disciplined with you writing time and practicing violin. I guess it's all about balance, right? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a blend is a good thing :D Notes for second drafts is about as plotty as I get ;)

      Definitely about the balance. The thing is, I always want to write, so the words are going to come out one way or another.

      Delete
  5. My writing desk seems to be holding everything but the kitchen sink at the moment!

    I appreciate that you don't focus on romance. It seems like it has to be a key part of every YA novel and it's nice to see other priorities in a teenager's life. I think YA needs that kind of message being sent. I'd love to see different types of relationships being focused on more: Platonic, siblings, parental, actual female friendship and not this frenemy rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My desk frequently requires excavating, but right now it's looking pretty good :D

      Thank you ^_^ I figure if everyone else has the romance covered, why don't I give something else a go, especially when that something else was such a huge part of my teens.

      Delete
  6. Yay for female friendships, and omg, I totally know what you mean about plotting the book = feels like written the book. I still think there's definitely an advantage to plotting, but I just can't do it in too much detail. Too much detail just drains the fun out of it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plotting probably has tons of advantages... but aaaaargh I can't do it. I just have to go with the flow and see where it takes me.

      Delete
  7. Your writing process is so opposite to mine, which I find fascinating. I'm a big planner, so it always amazes me when people can let the story unfold as it goes. It's very cool that creativity can be approached in different ways. Thanks for sharing your process, Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just proves there's no right way to write, which makes me so happy, because when I see blogs that are all "do it this way, it's the best way", I'm like "eh, no, that doesn't suit me." No one should ever be made to feel bad for the way they write.

      Delete
  8. I love your writing space! Every time I read about how happy pantsers are, I feel tempted to try it. Then I remind myself that I crash and burn after I walk myself around in an endless brain circle. ;) But I'm really glad it works for you! You're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^_^

      I couldn't write any other way. This is how I operate ;)

      Delete
  9. I understand how working with children makes you gravitate toward this end of the market - I already enjoyed YA, anyway, but working with teenagers has made me want to stay on top of things, too, especially as a language arts teacher. An encyclopedic knowledge of YA definitely comes in handy sometimes!

    I like that you're writing about friendship, too. You're right - we don't see enough of those in YA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have everything in my life synching up like that :)

      Friendships were such a huge part of my teens, I find it so sad that there aren't more in YA lit. Time for a change!

      Delete
  10. Yay for writing to music! Was fun to get a glimpse at your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^_^ I'm glad you liked it :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts