The Pantsing Crossroads

As a pantser, you'll be writing, not too much clue of where you're gonna go, when suddenly you reach a crossroads and the plot can go one of several ways, all of which will have fairly dramatic consequences for the rest of the book.  With Colony, I reached numerous crossroads and only once (I think) made the wrong call and had to backtrack.  Maybe when Colony is published I'll share that wrong turn.  But not just yet...


Dream!Story sits at one of these crossroads right now.  In fact, my character's next decision will change the course of the story... except he's as indecisive as I am (which makes sense, given the mess he's found himself in).

This is why I love not knowing where I'm going when I write - it's so much easier to get into a confused character's mindset this way.  Plus, I get to go on the adventure, too :D Sure, I might have to turn back, but going the wrong way just means I can explore other avenues before picking the right one.

How do you deal with moments when the story can go in a bunch of different directions?

Comments

  1. I usually start writing the direction I'm feeling the most at that moment. Sometimes it works, other times I have a lot of deleting to do. I don't mind if it turns out I wrote a bunch of scenes I'll never use, though, because it always gives me more insight into my characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! All of my books have a file dedicated to the odds and ends that didn't make the final cut but helped me develop the characters.

      Delete
  2. That's so fun! I'm sort of a plotser, so by the time I'm writing a scene, I know which way it'll go (for the most part), but when I'm initially brainstorming I let lots of different scenarios spin out in my head and see which one sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never know before I write the book where I'm going. It's an adventure for sure :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts