Another Point of View

Glad to report my NaNo project is on the move again.  After staring at it for a week, wondering why I'd suddenly lost the urge to write even though I still loved the idea, the main problem finally occurred to me.  First person narrative was not working.

It worked so well for Colony I thought it might suit this new project as well.  It started out fairly well, although the new MC wasn't as chatty as Ed.  But instead of getting easier, it just refused to work and 10,000 words later, I knew there was a real problem.  Motivation slipped... although a Shiny New Idea also had something to do with that, too.  But quit I could not, and yesterday I decided to give third person perspective a go.


Boom! The words are a-flowing and that shiny new idea has agreed to take a seat in the waiting room while having a few cups of tea.

If you ever find yourself getting stuck, maybe try switching the perspective.  Might work.  I'm not going to edit the first 10k until I finish this draft because I'm a member of the Always Move Forward Club with first drafts.  Get the story out, fix it later.

So, I'm up to 15k with this SNI now... I reckon I've earned a trip to the cinema with my friends to see Captain America, don't you? ;)

Comments

  1. Getting the words down and editing later is a difficult but important move. (I keep telling myself that ;) ) It's amazing what flipping prespectives can do. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing. If I hadn't, I don't think this story would still be moving onward :D

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear you're back on track and that you figured out what the issue was! Have fun at Captain America! I think it'll be a pretty stellar reward for moving ahead with you WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      It was a fun reward indeed :D

      Delete
  3. Very true, at times first person narration works for one story but may not for the next one.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it definitely didn't want to work for this one.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Yes!! Glad to hear you're off and rolling again. It's so frustrating to be stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D It was very frustrating, but it's all good now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts