Sunday, 2 March 2014

Sunday Inspiration - The Excitement of Pantsing

I know a lot of you are plotters, and believe me, I respect you guys so much.  Honestly, the hard work you put in astonishes me. I'm also quite jealous of the number of stationery products you get to use making pretty charts and outlines and whatnot.

...But I really, really, really love pantsing.  All my "plotting" comes during the editing phase, once I have a draft to work with.  This first draft stage is all about sitting in front of my laptop, music playing, words (hopefully!) flowing.

The thing I love most about pantsing is how the slightest thing can change what you thought was going to happen.  Last night, listening to the fantastically sinister Resident Evil soundtracks, my WiP took a slight deviation.  Nothing major, but something unexpected. And all of a sudden...


For a pantser, the thrill is in the discovery.  It's like the entire book is already inside of you and you have to follow it wherever it goes.  You might think you know where it's gonna go, but actually the book's in charge.  It's an adventure! And for me, that's the joy of writing.

...Even when the inspiration for the new scene comes from really ominous music!



Have a great Sunday, everyone :)

10 comments:

  1. I try to plan everything out, but my characters like to defy my outline. Right now I'm having to re-plot the entire second half of my WIP because some elements came up which I wasn't expecting!

    Happy Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever write a plan before I write, the book doesn't get written. I find it sooooo dull to work from a plan. My characters DEMAND freedom ;)

      Hope you're having a lovely day :D

      Delete
  2. Plotting makes me lose interest in the writing. It's much more fun for me to let the story unfold itself, like when I read a book for the first time. We know the general idea because we read the jacket, but the little twists and turns are what get us hooked. I feel like that with my manuscripts. After a draft, I iron out anything I need to.

    Hope your writing is always an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I understand why plotters plot, but it always makes me feel like I'm covering old ground.

      Thanks! You too :D

      Delete
  3. I think we all end up pansting at some point in our writing, even if we've made a plan. I like an outline but I've learnt not to be so detailed with it because I always end up going in a different direction and it always works out better in my experience. Or a minor character will decide to promote themselves and move up the ranks while the intended MC bows out willingly.

    I've yet to really challenge myself and completely wing it. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a secondary character take over from the intended lead. It was quite the learning experience!

      Wiiiiing iiiiiit!

      Delete
  4. This. Completely.

    I could not have said it better myself. The sense of discovering the story along the way is the true joy of writing, in my opinion.

    I've tried outlining. I've downloaded Scrivener three times and deleted it. I just have to let the story comes as it wants to.

    I want a shirt that says: Panster 4eva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Yeah, the sense of discovery is amazing. I can't imagine knowing every in and out before I start. Takes the fun out of it.

      I should make some shirts like that. "Gear for Pantsers" :P

      Delete
  5. That Dory quote is perfect! Plus...pantsing is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D

      Pantsing is *a lot* of fun ^_^

      Delete