"Strike While The Iron's Hot" and Other Assorted DO IT NOW Cliches

Ever find yourself writing an idea and you love it and it's growing and oooh, the possibilities are SO EXCITING YAY and you crack open a new notebook...

And drink tea from this extremely adorable yet rather heavy teapot

But, all of a sudden...

INSPIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAATIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Along comes another, possibly better shiny new idea.

Last weekend, I started writing a new book, mostly to distract myself from querying.  It's an idea I've had for a while and it felt really exciting to be writing it.

Except life got in the way and by the time I got home from work every night, the only thing I wanted to do was sleep.  I added roughly 300 words to the document last week.

Then we reached this weekend just gone and I finally gave in to a Winter Olympics inspired idea.

I'm a little over 2k in and so far, this is the story I want to write.  Sorry, other idea.  You'll have to wait ^^; I'm not sure you're quite ready to emerge into the world yet.

This isn't the first time I've done this.  Colony took over from another idea last year, and that other idea still has a lot of potential. 

To make a long story short, always go with the idea that's really burning away inside you... unless you're contracted to write something because then you probably better get that done... BUT THEN GO WITH THE BURNING, SHINING, AWESOME NEW IDEA!

...Although this idea's more frosty and frozen than burning...

My pile of stuff I started but never quite finished may be growing, but that doesn't mean I won't someday return to it.  It's a bit like the Character Bank - you can store the unfinished things for when you're really ready to work on them.

Comments

  1. Oooh, is that a cast iron teapot? Those things are SO COOL.

    Good luck with Shiny New Idea Number 2! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It was SO heavy despite being so itty bitty.

      Delete
  2. From the way Colony developed and is now ready for querying I think you're wise to go with instinct and continue with the WiP that feels right and inspiring. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a firm believer in going with your gut instinct :)

      Delete
  3. I often flit between projects if I've just finished a WIP - sometimes it takes a while to settle on which idea to write first! I have too many half-planned ideas and character files for books I haven't written yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It takes a while to find the right project :)

      Delete
  4. I recently read a post by an agent who suggested that before diving into work on a new idea you should make a list of several story concepts. Her reasoning was that the first shiny new idea to come to you might not be the best one lurking around your imagination. In fact, it might only serve to get the creative juices flowing for an even better story. I thought that was an interesting bit of advice. Sounds like maybe your first idea primed you for writing something you connected with even more. That's great! Glad to hear that even bigger and better inspiration has struck you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great bit of advice. Thanks for sharing. I think that agent's onto something. So far, this new idea feels better but who knows. Maybe there's another, stronger idea hiding behind it :D

      Delete
  5. I love it when ideas mushroom like that. Hope you have lots of fun with the one that hooked you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, this just happened to me this week. I had a nice MG idea I was all excited to start and suddenly I got inspired with details on a steampunk that's been rolling around in my brain for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts