The Best Things About First Person Perspective

I know, I know. I wrote a fairly long description of why I like third person perspective once upon a time. And I still love it.

But first person is pretty spectacular.  As I get to grips with the (hopefully) final round of edits for Space!Story, I can't help but fall in love with it all over again. 


Space!Story flowed out of me in a way no other book ever has.  I sat down on January 20th last year and 44 days later I had a first draft.  From start to finish, my main character talked... and talked, and talked and talked... She needed quite a lot of editing, but even as I cut thousands upon thousands of words of her observations, thoughts and feelings, I never lost what made her the character I love.

And I really love my Ed.

First person stories offer a chance to get more emotionally invested in your character.  Writing from the "I" perspective really changes how you can tell a story.  Ed told me how she saw and felt about the nuttiness around her.  With Hayden, the main character of Resistance, I watched what happened to her and wrote it down, like the story took place on a screen in my mind. The Coleplex, remember? ;)

And voice is key to a good first person narrative. It can be a real pain to read if there isn't a great sense of character coming through.  For me, it's the way the character relates their experiences.  Do I connect emotionally to them or am I bored out of my mind by pointless descriptions of the weather? You've got to have a really strong sense of who your character is to build an engaging first person narrative with them. I'm totally biased about Ed, but I really feel Space!Story works.

Will I write another story in first person perspective? Yes. It's fantastic.  Not sure if it'll be my next WiP or a Shiny New Idea I haven't had yet, but it's pretty addictive once you start writing this way.

Comments

  1. I've written in both first and third, and both have their advantages, as you point out. For me, it's what works for that particular story. I vacillated between first and third for my current novel, and ended up sticking to first because it gives the story the emotional depth it needs, and makes for an interesting, and unusual voice.

    All the best with the Space!Story edits, Cole. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right - you've got to go with whatever fits the story best. Space!Story wouldn't have worked in 3rd person.

      Thanks, Colin. Best of luck with your edits too :D

      Delete
  2. I think trying out first person POV is what prompted me to get serious about writing instead of leaving a trail of unfinished manuscripts. It makes it so much easier to feel invested in the mc and, for me, easier to love the story enough to see it through to the end. It's great to hear you so excited about your ms! Glad the edits have gone well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! I'm glad first person worked so well for you :D

      Delete
  3. I've written in both but still love third, though there are also great books in first. Glad to hear your latest WIP is flowing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I love both too. I think my next book will be in third, but I look forward to the next character who demands I write from their perspective.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts