Hello Rejection, My Old Friend...

Here's the great thing about having queried before and experienced rejection: you're better prepared for the second attempt. It's still gonna suck, but you know it's coming and that does make it easier.


The thing is, no matter how much advice you follow or how many This Is How I Landed My Agent blogposts you read, nothing fully prepares you for querying other than actually doing it. You'll certainly learn a thing or two about perseverance.  

I'm every bit as excited as I was the last time, and probably just as nervous, but this time I know what to expect.  I mean really know.  I know the rejections will suck, I know the partial and full requests will be super exciting, I know the silence will feel like a little shiny thread of hope even when it's way past time any kind of response can be expected.  And yet the one thing querying can't take away from me is the knowledge that I'm a damn good writer and Colony is a book I love and believe in.  I can't say it enough. I love Colony.  I'm pretty sure an agent will, too.

So, for those of you who are about to take your first step, DO IT! Learn the hard lessons (sorry! Have a nice cuppa tea on me), hang in there and never give up.  For those of you having another go with a new book, I hope all the lessons querying taught you previously lead to success ^_^

Tea really does solve all your woes.

Comments

  1. Oooh, good luck! I'm so excited that Colony's ready to go. I'm more excited about this book than any of my own, haha. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to keep you apprised of the situation ;)

      Delete
  2. Good to know it's easier the second time around. The first time was brutal!
    Best of luck, I hope an agent falls in love with Colony :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think it will based on me not going in blind :P Let's see how I feel in a few months' time ;)

      Cheers! :D

      Delete
  3. This is the fourth time around for me, and even being prepared hasn't taken the sting out of the rejections! Even worse are the months of no response followed by a form rejection. I hope you have better luck than I've had! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, form rejections aren't the best thing. Four goes round is *so* admirable. Go Team Emma! :D

      Delete
  4. I have a good feeling about this one. From reading it and your blog posts on it you clearly feel passionate about it and it's come across in your writing. It should be a key to getting a book picked up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sistah! Hope Colony knocks the socks off some agent (or several!!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Break a leg!! (I try to wish people "Good luck" like a normal person, but after years in the theatre it just makes me cringe. I don't actually want you to literally break a leg, haha.)

    Is "Colony" space!story? Just wondering. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, thanks!

      Yes, Colony is the real name. I posted about it on Monday ^_^

      Delete
  7. This is a timely reminder for me, seeing as I'll be jumping back into querying in the next little while. Wishing you lots of luck, Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I feel you. As much as I don't want to face the rejection side of querying again, knowing I've done it once is actually kind of comforting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing what it feels like cushions the blow somewhat :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts