Things To Do Between Books

Downtime from writing is important.  You don't need to feel guilty if you are not writing right at this very moment.... unless you're on an impending deadline, in which case GET OFFA MY BLOG AND GET TO WORK!

In all seriousness though, sometimes you just have to stop writing and go do other things. You know why? Because it's in doing those other things that the spark of your next Shiny New Idea will probably be found.

So, here's Miss Cole's List of Things To Do When You Aren't Writing! :D

1) Learn how to play a musical instrument!

Hee hee hee. But if you never have and you've always wanted to, or you used to and you miss it, I cannot recommend it enough. Playing the violin is such a joy.

2) Read!

And ignore ALL the voices in your head comparing you to whatever it is you're reading.  YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITING WITH YOUR OWN VOICE!

3) Tidy your desk

This was waaaaay overdue...

4) Go for a walk

Thanks, brother and sister-in-law, for unknowingly posing in the summer

Take a camera and capture inspiring images.

5) Have a cup of tea (or whatever warm beverage you enjoy the most)


There's no problem tea can't solve.  And I'm pretty sure relaxing with a good cuppa will prove inspiring ;)

6) TV, Film and Videogame Marathons

Now's as good a time as any to catch on that thing you need to watch/play so a whole new set of gifs make sense to you :)

What's your favourite downtime activity?

Comments

  1. Thanks for this super timely reminder! I'm a fan of reading and walking in between times.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I'm incapable of not working on something (possibly because I'm a workaholic :P) but when the workload's not as heavy, I read a ton of books and marathon-watch anime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the best way for a writer to be - always working ^_^

      Delete
  3. Good ideas! I never know what to do with myself in between books. Now I have an excuse not to clean my desk. I only do that when I'm in between projects. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I rarely do it while I'm in the middle of a book. I just need space for the laptop and tea :)

      Delete
  4. That pic of your bro and SIL looks like an indie album cover :)

    I love having TV/movie marathons - I can lounge for hours doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? They had no idea how perfectly posed they were, just standing there doing nothing :P

      Me too ^_^

      Delete
  5. Definitely reading and TV/movie marathons. There's nothing more relaxing! I also greatly enjoy pulling out my flute whenever I do and I always wonder why I don't do it more. This is a great list! And it's very true, sometimes you need to (and it's good!) to take a break from writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, the flute! I am in awe of anyone who can make sound come out of one of those. Go you! Last time I tried was... um... yeah... ^^; I'm sticking with my strings!

      Delete
  6. Oh man, those jeans. Someone have a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the term for them is "hipster"... :P You know our brother, always at the cutting edge of haute couture.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts