Patience

You know the feeling.  Your book is this close to querying and there are loads of competitions opening and tons of agents requesting exactly the thing you've written...

FORGET POLISHING! THESE PEOPLE NEED YOUR WORK NOW!!!!!!!! NOW, DAMMIT, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! GET THAT BOOK OUT THERE! GO GO GO GO GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I NEED A LAPTOP! A WIFI CONNECTION! I HAVE E-MAILS TO SEND! RIGHT NOW! AAAAAAH!!!

Aaaaah, but your book isn't ready, is it? You wish it was (don't you, Cole, don't you? Oh how you wish you could send out Space!Story right this minute), but it's not. You could race through those final revisions, crank out that query letter and synopsis, ignore those niggling feelings of doubt and go for it... and maybe that'll work out just great! Or maybe you'll be shooting yourself in the foot and earn yourself a bunch of rejections when a little bit of patience would've resulted in a higher quality manuscript.

It's not easy, deciding when a book is ready. You could easily revise it forever, never feeling it's quite right, or you could take a deep breath and decide now's the moment. And if now is the moment, just be sure you're not succumbing to outside pressure like competitions or tweets from agents. Submit when it's best for you, because the book isn't the only thing that has to be fully prepared.  I know how exciting querying is, but it hurts a lot as well.  Make sure you're as emotionally prepared for it as you can be.

I recommend making such a decision over a nice, calming cup of tea...

THAT NEVER ENDS :O :O :O

So, if now is the time, GOOD LUCK! :D Here's hoping one of those agents you're submitting your work to falls in love with it. If now isn't the time (soon, Space!Story, soon), hang in there, keep going and remember - a little patience and extra polish could go a long way.

Comments

  1. I was feeling like this though most of October, when I was working on revisions on my book! It definitely wasn't ready at that point, but now I've reached that stage where I was putting off querying more out of fear than anything, and my CP's encouraged me to enter Pitch Wars! Patience does pay off - hope you find a great agent for SpaceStory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope Pitch Wars works out for you :D Good luck!

      Delete
  2. The worst is when I see agent tweets or comments and they're asking for exactly what I've written... except my ms isn't ready to query. But it's always best to send your best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending your best is the perfect description :)

      Delete
  3. The publishing industry moves so slowly, taking the time to make your book the best it can be is worth it. You'll get to the end of the road eventually, but publishing is a very long road. Good luck staying patient.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts