A Beautiful and Inspiring Violin

Yesterday, I went to a wonderful shop full of violins just waiting to be played.  The gentleman there gave me a chance to play a few, but I knew from the first note which violin would be coming home with me:


This wonderful instrument was made in Germany around 1910.  I love how old my new violin is.  I very specifically didn't want a brand new instrument.  This one has a history, and now I'm going to be a part of it.  The wood has lots of little scratches that might bother some people, but I think they tell a story.  Imagine the people who've carried this violin and the lives they led. 


Not only am I inspired to play, and spent the morning doing so, I have a Shiny New Idea lodged in my mind.

This is by far the oldest, most magnificent thing I own. I will be taking very good care of my lovely new instrument.

Have you ever bought something really special and been inspired to write by it?

Comments

  1. Totally! I love getting inspired by things like this, and I love when objects have a history and story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I really want to tell my violin's story.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful violin! I always wanted to learn to play one but never took lessons. I love that yours has history. That gives it so much more character! Hope you enjoy playing it and that you have a very Merry Christmas, Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to learn too, so I decided I just had to. I cannot recommend it enough. You should do it! :D

      Have a Merry Christmas with your family, Erin ^_^

      Delete
  3. Your new (to you) violin is beautiful, and I love that it's so old! (Although it would make me nervous, haha.) Have fun playing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will!

      I do feel a bit nervous, but a violin is made to be played, so play it I shall :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, it really does inspire a story. Yes, you really must tell it. Who played this? Where has it traveled? It reminds me of a movie called The Red Violin (I think that's right). It must sound lovely, too. Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nice to meet you, too :)

      I've written a paragraph of this violin's story, but I have another book to finish first. I'm looking forward to really sinking my teeth into it as soon as I can.

      Delete
  5. BEAUTIFUL. I've been considering taking up a musical instrument again... This only makes me want to do so more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts