Why I'm Not NaNoWriMoing This Year

It's not been an easy decision, but my mind's made up.  I will not be taking part in NaNoWriMo this year.  I want to, and I have a story I really want to work on next month, but I can't.

Space!Story is my number one priority.  This edit has come perilously close to being rushed just so I could take part in NaNoWriMo, but that won't be doing the book justice.  I love Space!Story, and I want it to be query-ready in early 2014, but what's more important, what's most important, is it being the best book I can make it. Rushing it won't help.

While I could use November to dig deeper into EvilBuilding!Story, I could use it better preparing my query letter, my synopsis and, oh yeah, finishing another round of edits on the book I've already written. 

So I can fill MORE BOXES with red ink stained manuscripts!

Like I said, this hasn't been easy. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to take part in NaNo. I love the rush and the self-discipline it forces me to adopt.  I have the story I'm itching to write, but...

BUT SPACE!STORY, I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUUUCH!

And all the energy it takes to pound out a NaNo draft can go into Space!Story instead. Every day it creeps closer to completion. It's just so exciting!

Good luck to all of you taking part! I hope you all achieve your goals.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you've made the right choice. Good luck!

    AbsoluteWrite's forum does monthly NaNoWriMo-style write-a-thons (e.g. right now they have an OctNoWriMo going on). They're pretty good for motivation -- I've taken part a few times because NaNoWriMo is rarely optimal for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma ^_^

      That sounds cool. I may give it a go once Space!Story is querying. I'm really hoping I'll be able to send the book your way in the not too distant future. Losing that middle section really threw my plans into a spin ^^;

      Delete
  2. I really wanted to take part, but that would have involved rushing my edits on my current WIP and putting off starting my new one, and I couldn't wait to start my new draft! I'll still be writing, but I'll probably be halfway through my draft by November. Sounds like you have the right idea! It's a shame that the start of November never seems to coincide with when I'm about to start a new project (although I did take part in a group writing marathon in August and got over 50,000 words). Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your shiny new WiP! Have fun! :D

      Delete
  3. I'd love to take part in NaNo this year but I'm in the exact same situation. I really need to focus on editing and getting these drafts all edited, seen by betas, and ready for querying. In a way I thought I could unofficially take part in NaNo by using the month as a deadline for finishing this round of editing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea :D Hope you get through this round of edits by the end of next month.

      Delete
  4. I'm in the same boat too! Maybe I'll end up doing a hybrid NaNo later, once the queries have started rolling out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with editing. :) If you want to be a NaNoRebel, or just see some good resources on editing, querying, and the like, the NaNoWriMo forums have a section on what comes next after you finish your novel -- including editing and querying, I believe. The forums are just a great resource in general. I could waste hours there...Oh, who am I kidding? I DO waste hours there, and it's not even November yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts