The Benefits of Physical Activity, Or: Why Writers Should Leave The Desk Now and Then

In the month I've been swimming regularly, I've gone from 650m at the start of August to 1750m today. It's a new personal best, yaaaaay! I'm not a total physical wreck despite all my back/pelvis/asthma issues. Woooo!


Before we continue, please don't picture me as one of these super swimmer types who powers up and down the pool like I'm half fish.  Seriously, how do people do that?! I'm more of a slow and steady kinda gal.

My main reason for swimming is to help with my asthma, but once I get into a good rhythm, I find myself mulling over ideas and characters and the next thing I know I've created a bit more backstory for the MC or I've established the world a little more in my head.  Plus I can write blog posts in my head as I carry on length after length after length... Maybe I need to invent some kind of waterproof Dictaphone. Then I can spout everything into it so I don't forget what I want to write.

If you're stuck or if you need some away-from-desk time, maybe exercise will do your mind some good. You never know what you might enjoy until you try it! Plus as someone whose physiotherapist informed her of her "weak glutes" this week, getting out of the chair now and then is probably a really good idea...


(Apparently my glutes are so lazy my legs have to do all the work which puts too much pressure on my hips and dodgy pelvis and how the hell am I a twenty-something with pelvis issues what kind of a mess will I be in later in life?!?!?!)

Ahem.

What kind of exercise do you like to do? I always admire all your runner types but I think I'm sticking with swimming :)

Comments

  1. Good points! I work from home 2 days a week and I used to not leave very often on those days if I didn't have to. Lately I've been heading out to the gym, even though it's annoying. Once I'm there, I'm good.

    Love that Star Trek gif!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the effort of going can be the hardest part, but once you get going you remember why you do it :D

      I do too! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Your dodgy pelvis can hang out with my funky feet :) I have an awful habit of putting pressure on the balls of my feet instead of spreading it out evenly and it used to make exercise so painful for my shins. It was weird to retrain myself as an adult on how to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Exercise definitely helps me. I do hot yoga, which doesn't really allow for much thought of anything other than yoga, but I tend to have all sorts of ideas on the way home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stimulate the body and stimulate the mind!

      Also, hot yoga? I am impressed!

      Delete
  4. Exercise is amazing. I have been doing a lot of walking and yoga/pilates exercises. I love swimming, running and ice skating but they are rather hard to do with a entourage of little ones. Maybe when they are older I will be able to do them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, children have a way of making these things trickier. Last time I took a four year old ice-skating I didn't skate so much as acted as a support strut :P

      Delete
  5. Exercise is really great for both the body and the mind. I do a combination of T25 (which is a newer & shorter version of the more population P90X), Zumba (done at HOME, I know I have no rhythm so I don't embarrass myself in public, but it is FUN), and running. When doing T25 and Zumba I'm too busy concentrating on following the video and not dying to think, but I do a lot of thinking during running. Not much else to do for 20 minutes. My thoughts are typically revolving around lesson plans and ways to make my subject more interesting/fun/etc, but it is a great way to clear the mind. Even when doing exercises that don't allow for a lot of extra though, my mind is clear afterwards and crazy ideas pop into my head during cool down/shower/etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister-in-law-to-be teaches zumba so you can imagine how much rhythm she has ;)

      Delete
  6. Okay I tried to respond to this yesterday but it seems my default (Google Chrome) doesn't work with comments, so annoying. Anyways try to remember what I said. I agree that getting up is good because I go for so long without having the time to site and work on my writing (blog, fanfiction, book, anything) and I feel back but when I do get the spare time to dedicate to it I'm excited and have my drink at my desk ready to spend all the time working but then....I'm blank. Like I've been so ready for this time that now that I have it I can't focus. Maybe I should hit the treadmill for 20 minutes and get my blood pumping and the creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 minutes on the treadmill sounds perfect for getting your imagination cooking!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts